Therapeutic Effect of riding

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
Over the past couple of months I have been somewhat dissatified with my job, etc.
Completely unrelated to that I felt inspired by another adult rider to make riding more of a priority in my life.
So lately I have been riding every other day instead of 1-2 times a week. On days when I didn't make it to the barn I even took up running on the treadmill at home.
Last week nothing had changed at work but I felt completely happy. All around I was quite pleased with my life.
Today I realized that my horse, who is turned out 24-7, had been showing a noticable reduction in his cribbing habits this past week.
I wonder if riding more doesn't only have therapeutic effects on me but also on my horse.

Originally posted by KarinUS
I wonder if riding more doesn't only have therapeutic effects on me but also on my horse.

In my experience with Thoroughbreds, at least, I think you're probably right. I don't know about most horses, but just about every TB I've ever known is much happier when in regular work, and when more fit.

TB's I've known who had nervous tendencies were usually calmer when worked regularly. I suppose cribbing might be a nervous tendency. Most of the horses I'm thinking of were more of the spook/shy/wheel&run variety ;) or the type to completely lose the ability to focus.

How wonderful that you & he are sharing something that makes you both happy.

I agree with Galadriel - I usually ride my Canadien gelding four times a week, but he is fine if only ridden twice.

I just purchased another horse (Trakehner) and have been told by my coach that she will need to be ridden five or six times a week.

The "hotter" (more energetic) the horse the more they will need to be worked.

I find it really therapeutic, and worry less and don't take my work home with me. Nag thrives on work, the more she does the sweeter she becomes. Quite an effort to maintain it especially during the winter, but now the rain has stopped and its lighter in the evenings. I do have difficulty once she's up to 2hrs a day on keeping it up, one goes a long way in 2hrs. Think this year I'll split it into two sessions. L

I knew that some horses 'needed' to be ridden more frequently, but my misconception was that this was to benefit the rider, thinking that it only made the horse an easier ride.
I didn't know it was this beneficial to the horse's wellbeing.

If it turns out that he will do better with more riding, I will feel kind of guilty. I actually used to think I am doing him a favor by letting him be a horse so much. I figured since he was turned out on a large pasture with his buddies and able to swim in the pond, etc. whenever he pleases, he had enough entertainment to keep him occupied.

He's a Thoroughbred but not generally that nervous. Then again his anxiety may have just found a different outlet (cribbing).

Horse riding is used for riding for the disabled for theraputic reasons as well as exercise. I am sure there are lots of examples of children/adults that have spoken/done something for the first time from the back of a horse!

Speaking from a personal RDA view, I find riding extremely theraputic, the warmth and movement of the horse, together with that special something that they have, just make everything else just melt away.

As for the horse finding it theraputic, I suppose it depends what you do, a hack down a busy road would probably be enjoyed much less than a canter in the countryside.

I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder and find horse riding ever so comforting and relaxing. Definately has theraputic effects. Sadly i dont have my own horse yet so there is still the anxiety of having to be watched and criticised (obviously i accept the watching and grading of my instructor!) by others but the joy and comfort created by just simply being around horses really is worth it. Somedays i struggle to get the courage up to go to my lessons and be around other people when i know i dont HAVE to, but i always do as i simply cant resist and i know that the comfort will be worth it. Horses are so forgiving, they just have such an aura of calm, relaxation and friendliness (well most anyway!) that i find so calming and accepting. I love them! They may test you, but theyll never criticise, classify or shame you. Im sure that it must have relaxing, theraputic effects for horses as well. Especially when they have a special bond with the rider. Isnt it true that in their owner horses find their leader, and horses like leadership. In the animal world it is an honour to be close to the leader. Horses and humans is a truly wonderful partnership when both respect each other.

Sorry for such a long post! Ill just hide now as a hail of corrections fall upon me! ;)

I find the same thing.
My favorite quote goes like this:
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse

I used to think because I don't own my own horse, there is much I won't get, but I have been proved so very wrong by the many horse I have met {who earn their keep as working horse}
I tend to think that in life you only get out what you put in, with a few notable disasters along the way too,{for me anyway.}

From the minature ponies to the rare suffolk, I like them all.
For me there is one breed I like just that little more, and thats fjords.

:)

Horses do something like 30 miles a day in the wild - just bimbling along.

Then we come along and put them in a much more limited space - we may think its a BIG paddock but to them its not so enormous.

Its interesting watching our lot - for various reasons they get restricted to some smaller paddocks at certain times. But when they get access to the full 7 acres (like they have recently) they roam away all over the place and are much more active.

My mare has a very strong work ethic, and is also quite energetic. If I go and just do, say, 10 minutes loose schooling or ground work, her face and body language all change and are a lot "happier" (calmer, more relaxed etc). I'd say it was a combinatin of both the effort and the interaction.

So for her, at least, 'work' is definitely therapeutic. (When she dumps me on the sand, not so sure on the therapeutic effect on me :confused: ) Joking aside - I'm definitely a nicer person to be around if I'm working (not necessarily riding) my horse on a regular basis.

newrider.com