The road to recovery: Ziggy after colic surgery

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
After a trip to Liphook Horsepital today I feel emboldened to start this new thread to keep all of you wonderful people posted on how little Ziggy Stardust is doing.

As you know, he came down with colic on Friday evening. It proved to be a very severe case of impaction colic, and he had surgery at 2 am on Saturday involving an incision to his caecum (the area of gut equating to our appendix, but enormous in horses and where most of the grass digestion happens) to remove the mass of badly-chewed grass and plant matter that was obstructing his gut.

The first 48 hours after surgery are crucial. Yesterday he was very dull and showing little reaction to anything, though no colic symptoms either. I did not visit him. Today I was told he was brighter so I went down to Liphook to say hello.

He is in the ICU there in a big airy box. He came straight up to the bars to say hello to me and I have to say he looked like my boy - ears pricked in the usual "What you got mum?"

He had a double drip fitted, which he was knitting by walking around the box. The drip leads into a catheter into the big vein in his neck. He was being given rehydration saline through one drip and painkillers/intestinal motility drugs through the other. The bloodstain under his chin is where they put the blood pressure/heart monitor into the artery during surgery:

While I was there he was taken off the motility drugs and given some water to take by mouth. He didn't seem interested. I talked to him and scratched him and offered him some essential oils to sniff. He went for the rose otto oil (for trauma) in a big way, breathed deeply, yawned and flehmed, then went and had a drink :smile:.

He was very itchy, especially on his face, and rubbed on me and asked me for scratches. He got loads of course, and I am going to take his face and mane brushes along this evening to help him out. He also told me that he was itchy where they had clipped him and around his incision, which is like a zip fastened up his belly:

so he got a few scratches as near as I dared. He is a limber little pone and was getting perilously close to the stitches with his teeth, so I told the nurses on him and they went off to consult the vet. I hope they don't put the horse equivalent of the Cone of Shame on him!!!

He is a little "camped out" which I am told means he is standing with his feet close together as a sorefooted horse might. But his hooves are not too warm and his digital pulses are low, and the vet is happy with his feet.

I stayed with him about an hour, during which time the nurses fed the other horses in the ICU. Ziggy got very impatient and pawed the ground. He was strongly of the opinion that ponies should be fed, too, and he didn't take kindly to me telling him that he was nil by mouth until tomorrow. All he did was stare out at the hay truck:

I am going back tonight with my friend Catherine to do a full zoopharmacognoscy session (offering him essential oils) to help with healing, promote good gut response, minimise the laminitis risk and help him get over the trauma. The hospital vet says this is fine as long as we keep him on water only by mouth.

What was lovely was that he was my boy, very subdued as you would expect (looking at the pictures, I think he looks sad) but still full of Ziggyness. I feel optimistic! :happy:

So lovley to see some photos of him Jane, despite all of the wires etc hes looking quite well & perky in the pics :biggrin:

REALLY glad he's pulled through the op and sounds like hes going from strength to strength! :dance:

Lots of Kisses & healing vibes from Vicki,Finnley & Perry xxxx

HOORAY! Oh this is really wonderful news - and so great to see Ziggy! Thank you for sharing your photos of him in the horspital too. God forbid that anything should ever happen to Prince but it's good to see how things are there and that he's in good hands.

I've spent the whole day just knocking around with Prince, thinking of you and your boy. I told Prince all about what was happening and he listened intently before giving a big snort - he thought it wasn't nice at all to talk about so we went into the school to get our minds on something else.

Catherine's work is really fascinating, I hope you'll post something about that when you next have a chance.

Give the Zigmeister our love and wish him a speedy,safe recovery xxx

So glad you have taken the trouble to update us on Ziggy's progress. Its looking very good - in that he obviously knew it was you and showed great interest in the 'dinner trolley' - hopefully by tomorrow he can have a little something.

Very interested in offering the essential oils - is the theory that they sniff at the ones that they are in need of and ignore the rest? Does sound as the rose otto oil did lead him to take a drink so thats very promising.

Loads more healing vibes coming along to aid with a speedy recovery. :smile:x

That all sounds really encouraging - he even looks a bit happier in the last picture than in the first - don't you think? Hope you have another good session with him this evening. :smile:

So pleased to see an update - i saw your original thread and my heart sank for your both but you boy is a fighter and its great to see him on the road to recovery - will keep everything crossed it keeps going well for you both.

Sometimes its so scary how fragile they are.

Really interested to hear more about the oils too

I am so pleased to hear your fantastic news. My broadband was down and I was desperate for an update.

I look forward to hearing all about his road to recovery and I really cannot tell you how happy I am for you :biggrin:

Look at that boy - how nice to see him on his feet! Will keep up the healing vibes and please keep us updated on his progress, Jane.

Thank you for the update, and I'm so pleased that things are looking up. It looks like Ziggy is in very good hands, bless him. fingers crossed for him to get well soon. *Hugs* to you both xx

Great news - onwards and upwards, fingers crossed for continued improvement.

Thanks for taking the time for the update - lots of worried peeps here!

So good to get back from the yard to some positive news on Ziggy. He looks a bit sorry for himself but then not getting tea would do that to any self respecting foodie!

Sending vibes for continued improvements.:wavespin:

Ah bless little Ziggy. He's made of strong stuff I tell you!!

So so pleased to see him up and about. You tell him we were all very worried about him and he'd better not worry us like that again! :yellowcarded:

Jane, your details and pictures brought it all back - so like what they did to me when I had my emergency appendix op last year. Clamps, drips, water by mouth, walking just a little. Quite upsetting, and fingers crossed he comes through it, since I did.

Feeling for the ziggster Jane, I can't even think how I would be coping in your shoes, I would be a wreck I think:smoke:which is Not at all helpful to the horse!

Sam has offered his daily pear to ziggster, for when he is well again...it only has a little bite mark in it...:wink:

newrider.com