The Olden Days - storing food in a pantry

Interesting fact about mold on Jam.....it's generally caused by someone dipping a buttery knife in it!

If, like my mother, you had a jam spoon, for that very reason you would not get mold in the jam!

I tend to trust my judgment on dates, if it looks and smells okay generally it's okay to eat. I put most of my cooking ingredients through an Organoleptic test anyway! ;D ;D

When the old man was in the smiddy we had a pantry that you could walk into shelves and a big marble shelf where a big skillet of milk was put to let the cream come to the top i can still taste it. Meat, meal, jams were all in their the difference was that you didnt do a weekly shop then as mum was a full time mum she got the messages every day. In those days [50 years ago] you had a two or three courser at 12.00 noon and almost the same again at night, difference then was that it was hard manual graft for most of us in the fields or in the smiddy helping out my old man. Changed days now there are machines for doing just about every task known to mankind. Would i go back to that, not on your life it was bloody tough, threshing mills, thinning neaps, topping neaps, tattae lifting all done by hand, i digress but i would like to have a larder in the house.

My mum never used to keep jam and stuff in the fridge - was all in the cupboards. Mind you, our house wasn't the warmest, we'd no central heatinguntil 1988.....
One of my mates keeps everything in his fridge, tins of peas - the lot! Weird.

newrider.com