The heatwave

We had rain on and off during the night but it's bright and breezy here and a whopping 16 degrees! Woo hoo. Summer's landed! Hahahaa. It's set to rise to 17 wowser. Best dig out the factor 50 then:rolleyes:šŸ˜‚
29 when I took grandson out at 11.30
More rain today. Not stopped for 48 hours. Ponies fed up. Vitamin won't let them in the shed. She is like a mean dragon!
Rain? What's that?

I just ho[e when the rain comes it's not heavy straight away, if it is the ground is too hard to take it and most of it will run off and cause flash floods.

Reactions: Huggy
Look at the flies on his face this morning! I can't put his mask on because he has a sore but on his cheek, and if he wears the mask he rubs it raw. Sudocrem and wound powder are keeping the flies off, but the rest of his face.....:(Screenshot_20220809-213343_Gallery.jpg

I feel for you @Huggy , Luka's eyes often have loads of flies on them but the daft sod won't keep a fly mask on. Putting plenty of Nettex Summer Freedom cream on his face and as close to his eyes as I dare is helping but it isn't completely stopping them and it makes such a mess if I use enough to work. I've got a fly fringe on order that can be used without a headcollar - he doesn't have Hogan's magnificent forelock - but whether he'll keep it on is anyone's guess.

I feel for you @Huggy , Luka's eyes often have loads of flies on them but the daft sod won't keep a fly mask on. Putting plenty of Nettex Summer Freedom cream on his face and as close to his eyes as I dare is helping but it isn't completely stopping them and it makes such a mess if I use enough to work. I've got a fly fringe on order that can be used without a headcollar - he doesn't have Hogan's magnificent forelock - but whether he'll keep it on is anyone's guess.
It's hellish when one brings them in - the flies gravitate to me as I lead him - I look as though I have tourettes, flailing my arms about.

I bought a load of citronella for Ella and sprayed my legs and her tummy before riding. It made so much difference. The previous week she was kicking her tummy so much that I dismounted.

Iā€™ve noticed our hawthorns are dying, 2 out of 3 have all brown leaves most of which have dropped already, on my land and all up the drove too.
And Iā€™ve got one of my enormous leylandii dead by the looks of it, Iā€™m definitely going to have to deal with that before the first autumn storm.

Mine has her nosenet on her bridle, they all sit on it when I tack up.

If he was bothered by the flies @Huggy you wouldn't get that photo. He possibly doesn't notice?
There are only certain spots mine notices the horse flies.

Iā€™ve noticed our hawthorns are dying, 2 out of 3 have all brown leaves most of which have dropped already, on my land and all up the drove too.
And Iā€™ve got one of my enormous leylandii dead by the looks of it, Iā€™m definitely going to have to deal with that before the first autumn storm.
Iā€™ve noticed lots of trees around here dying, scary thought because the more trees we lose the warmer and drier it will get. šŸ˜¢

I believe itā€™s 67 straight days of temps in the 90ā€™s (F) with humidity to match. Today starts a cool down ā€” into the 80ā€™s! Night time lows will be in the 60ā€™s (F) and maybe even one night at 58-59 degrees (F).

Whatever will I do when I donā€™t have to wear a tray full of ice cubes to the barn at 7:00 AM to get morning chores donešŸ‘šŸ‘ These temps should last a week then climb back up again.

We have had great afternoon rains for several days and a good one early this morning; it should get my area out of light drought status. Sadly the training storms are still training over areas that severely flooded a few weeks backšŸ˜°šŸ˜°

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com