The effects of grit/salt

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
We are warned that grit burns dogs and cats paws, does it do anything to horses?

If we have more ice coming I am thinking I might grit the 200m section of road that gets iced up and prevents me from riding (I'm all off road beyond that). Its a very quiet lane, from me up to the forest there is only 3 houses and I know them all so there wouldn't be any risk of crazy drivers :) I just won't ride on sheet ice as don't want Jess doing herself an injury on it and being such a quiet lane its not gritted.

I don't know if it has any effect - I've alwaya gritted my yard when necessary. Don't blame you for not riding sheet ice. I walked with Mr T and Zi not long ago and I was a proper wobbly penguin and he was worried too so we turned back. Not worth the risk.

Not something we have to worry about, we need an Ark to get them out of the fields now and if weather forecast is right then they need skates back on come the weekend!

I think the main issue is that dogs and cats lick their paws to get them clean and so ingest the salt/ grit. I can’t see this being a problem with most horses. Perhaps swill their hooves off with fresh water when you get back if possible.

I don't think it will be too much issue. If they were walking on it and then being stabled straight after it would need to be washed off.
Think the salt that they add to grit is stronger plus think they add a chemical to it hence it can burn.
As your turning them straight back out there feet will naturally wash off in the field.

Reactions: Jessey
Dogs and cats pads get burnt with the grit I'm not sure what the salt would do? I don't think it would cause any harm to hooves but not 100% sure although I have never heard of any harm being done :confused::)

Reactions: Jessey
I've never heard of it being a problem but I never heard it's a problem for dogs/cats until recent years either. Perhaps it's something new they are adding to the grit.

Reactions: joellie
newrider.com