that time of year again, the sun will return!

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
I love the spectacle, and we certainly need something to brighten us up at this time of year! Not that we'll be going down to Lerwick this year - I'm far too much of a wimp to stand around in this weather.

P

pinkheather

Enjoy your festival and hope the weather isnt too bad. As for sun having lived in the central highlands most of my life i am well used to rain and snow in winter and the dreaded midge in summer, just as well i like the rain and midge at least it keeps the tourists indoors.

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
Ha Ha! I saw it on TV a while ago on some programme about traditional British festivals.

They look like a load of 'Wally's' to me:giggle: lol no pun intended.

We have a pretty bonkers one that goes on in Sussex on Bonfire night.

Seems us Brits are still as mad as ever:smile:

One of my hens is still recovering from the fireworks on New Years, we had one almighty bang and the poor thing hasn't laid an egg since:frown:

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
Ha Ha! I saw it on TV a while ago on some programme about traditional British festivals.

They look like a load of 'Wally's' to me:giggle: lol no pun intended.

We have a pretty bonkers one that goes on in Sussex on Bonfire night.

Seems us Brits are still as mad as ever:smile:

One of my hens is still recovering from the fireworks on New Years, we had one almighty bang and the poor thing hasn't laid an egg since:frown:

Not sure Id want to call one of thoe burley bearded Vikings a wally!!

Tourism helps local economy's and business's, I actually, when I lived a high tourist destination place ( St Ives) loved the atmosphere when it was busy with tourists!, it did make my job difficult at times, but come winter it was like a ghost town! Give me the tourist vibe anyday, it also made me feel proud people wanted to visit an area where I was very much blessed to live:wink:.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Not sure Id want to call one of thoe burley bearded Vikings a wally!!

Tourism helps local economy's and business's, I actually, when I lived a high tourist destination place ( St Ives) loved the atmosphere when it was busy with tourists!, it did make my job difficult at times, but come winter it was like a ghost town! Give me the tourist vibe anyday, it also made me feel proud people wanted to visit an area where I was very much blessed to live:wink:.

Have I dreamt it or is St Ives the place where there are hundreds (well it felt like it:giggle:) of steps to get into the town centre? I seem to remember parking up and then walking down loads of steps. The way back tired my stumpy legs out! Lol Lovely place tho. There was a good butchers if I remember rightly - in the town centre.

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
Yes! If you parked at the main large carpark ( at the leisure centre) it was alot of steps down and up! I lived at the top of town, I usually got a cab back up for the sake of £2:redface: if I had walked into the town, especially if been out in the evening! was very steep!!

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
Did they get up to this in St Ives?

I really don;t know what this squad is refering to, will find out, I laughed though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hPUGdaxW7I

No, Never anything like that !

Is the Viking boat a proper full on boat they burn? Looks an awful lot of amazing craftmanship to burn. From watching the videos, its amazing how many people are in the procession! all those lights ! pretty breathtaking !! Is Shetland the only Island/place that do this festival?

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
IN Stonehaven they have a fire festival, but it's not as big as the Lerwick one.

There's 1000 or thereabouts torch bearers. And the boat takes all year to build, by traditional boat building methods in the Galley shed. The Jarl squad know which year they will be top billing about 10 years in advance and they save up to pay for their costumes and gear. Each costume cost about a grand each. That's the jarl squad, the other squads don't spend that much. Price of a flasher's mac and a frying pan!

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
IN Stonehaven they have a fire festival, but it's not as big as the Lerwick one.

There's 1000 or thereabouts torch bearers. And the boat takes all year to build, by traditional boat building methods in the Galley shed. The Jarl squad know which year they will be top billing about 10 years in advance and they save up to pay for their costumes and gear. Each costume cost about a grand each. That's the jarl squad, the other squads don't spend that much. Price of a flasher's mac and a frying pan!

corr !!!