Tell me all you know about drop nosebands please

denisextilly

May 4, 2009
west yorkshire
I have just bought one from ebay for 99p to try on Tilly,who runs around with her nose 3ft in the air.
Now I need to know if I can use any bit with it ?( eg,hanging cheek)
Can I use a running martingale with it ??
Any thing else I might need to know ??
I do know you have to fit it carefully so as not to restrict her breathing :eek:
So as usual all help gratefully recieved :D

Cant help -but like you I am also considering trying one - but never used one so shall watch this post with interest.;)

Personally DxT, I don't think it will solve your head in air problem. Why is Tilly doing that? What bit do you have in at the mo? If a plain jointed snaffle it might be because she doesn't like it poking roof of mouth.

Most horses who do this havn't learned that lowering the head relieves the pressure so they try and position the bit where most comfortable e.g. joint of snaffle pointing forward over tongue.

A drop noseband will force mouth shut so it will hurt even more, so then you'll have to get a martingale and all you've done is create a problem for a problem when all that was needed was a different bit (lozenge? straight?).

Anyway, it's just a thought and if it does turn out to be snaffle problem, teach her how to carry it - may have to do on the ground/lunge with low side reins.... anyway, don't know your history with tilly so only going on your little problem, I may be completely out of turn so sorry if I am!!! :eek:

It will have no effect on a pony that puts its head in the air and will probably make that problem worse. It is only suitable for horses /ponies that persistantly open their mouths as an evasion after all the other obvious causes have been addressed.

The best ones are adjustable on the top of the noseband and also on the bottom strap and can be used with most bits.

Alois Podhajsky recommend that the fitting of a drop ought not be too tight. A horse should be able to take a reward and eat it without any problems.

Thanks all ! she is currently in a french link snaffle and mainly chucks her head up and opens her mouth when jumping,we have tried a grackle,sheepskin noseband,flash and running martingale but none have been much help.Tilly does get very strong when jumping but I was trying to avoid a stronger bit so was recommended a drop noseband to try ?Maybe not a good idea then :confused::confused:

Try the drop, maybe with a hanging cheek next. The answer will be out there somewhere, just got to find it.

Oh, well that's mainly why the drop was invented to help with horses that rush/lose control at fences. It's a quick fix for sj's but it will improve with training. Have you tried grids, poles, funnels on the lunge/free? You can then see what the problem is - most of the time the behaviour is in anticipation of the bit pain from previous experience so if she doesn't throw head up when unbitted then it may be the stem of the issue. I can only assume you've had saddle/back/teeth checked so can only think it may be psychological with Tilly.

Would striding poles help in front of jumps?

Thanks all ! she is currently in a french link snaffle and mainly chucks her head up and opens her mouth when jumping,we have tried a grackle,sheepskin noseband,flash and running martingale but none have been much help.Tilly does get very strong when jumping but I was trying to avoid a stronger bit so was recommended a drop noseband to try ?Maybe not a good idea then :confused::confused:

I had a french link snaffle on my lad and he was forever chucking his head about, I had a quick check and the links of the bit were right on the bars of his mouth, so I swapped it for a straight bar bit, unfortunately due to health problems I've not had a chance to ride him in it much since! but things did seem to be a bit better!

newrider.com