TB Bitting?

Lot1983

Oct 16, 2006
The Cotswolds
Still not happy with Henry’s bitting. He’s not happy in his mouth (teeth checked regularly) and we’re tried various different bits he’s got quite a small mouth and a low palete, currently he’s in a Mullen barrel with independent side action hanging cheek, this was because I had a similar mouth piece in the Myler but was advised hanging cheek would like it off the bars, I think it’s too strong a bit for us though although I think it’s going to be good for jumping.

So I’ve now gone full circle and I’m going to try a rubber snaffle, it’s soft, flexible and shouldn’t put pressure in weird places but it is quite thick?

Any thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated, so far we’ve tried:
-Loose ring snaffle
-Loose ring French link snaffle
-KK loose ring French link snaffle
-French link Fulmer snaffle
- Myler Mullen Barrel Eggbutt without hooks
-Mullen Barrel Hanging Cheek similar to the Myler

Bitless isn’t an option as I we do dressage.

Can't help you at all, except to say that my TB I rode in a Neue Schule lozenge bit and the other in a Happy Mouth snaffle. The one who had the Happy Mouth snaffle actually didn't have a very happy mouth at all, but it was the bit that he would accept marginally better than all the rest.

I too am having bit stresses with Toby. Just a minefield.

Don't go for a conventional rubber snaffle as that will be far too thick, a Happy Mouth may be an option and I think you can get hanging check versions.

Have you tried a French link in a hanging cheek or eggbut sides...some of ours just don't like bits that move in the mouth??

The fulmer was a fixed cheek and he seemed to prefer that to the loose ring but I don't think he's happy in a conventional French link. (Hanging cheek French link maybe?)

Have already bought a conventional rubber snaffle and when it arrived I did think it might be too big.

I haven't really looked at the Happy Mouth's, I thought they were plastic coated metal though so still prone to the same nut cracker action?

This is what happened with the French Link Fulmer:
DSC_0093.jpg

I was having real problems with my new boy, he wasn't at all happy in a loose ring French link (which my other 2 TB's are fine in). Have recently changed to a hanging cheek French link and he's much happier, doesn't mess about with it and has (fingers crossed!) stopped trying to get his tongue over it.

You get the nutcracker action with any kind of but that has one joint in it (standard snaffle) regardless of material it is made of.

I would be either looking at French link bits in general, or a straight bar possibly with a raised bit for the tongue.

You get the nutcracker action with any kind of but that has one joint in it (standard snaffle) regardless of material it is made of.

I would be either looking at French link bits in general, or a straight bar possibly with a raised bit for the tongue.

The picture above is a French link, they still have a (all be it fairly mild) nut cracker action.

Ah, didn't realise that Fulmer was only referring to the loose ring. You learn something new everyday! :D

Keepers were on there because... well, someone told me a horror story about being hit in the face by a horses head and getting their nostril caught (and ripped)on the full cheek! Me? Paranoid? Much? :D (and when they streched and moved down I never bothered to remove them!)

Also both the Myler and the Hanging cheek are Mullen mouth so have a space for the tongue, indedpendent side movemement but neither of them 'bend'.

Eml, are any of the Happy Mouth dressage legal? I suppose though I could try him in one, get him schooling and then see if I can reintroduce something legal? (Not that we do much bar a couple of RC comps a year)

newrider.com