Tally's leg

MadMumInKent

Feb 27, 2005
Kent
Update from my post last night which was on the Cafe forum... I'm going to call the vet tomorrow morning. He's slightly worse today if anything :( For those that didn't read my post, he jumps when I run my hand down his leg to pick up his hoof, he lifts the leg abnormally high every now and then when walking, sometimes he drags the hoof. So I thought it best to find out exactly what's going on, whether its just a strain, or whether its something more. He was only vetted 2 weeks ago, and nothing showed up then, so I really don't know whats up. I'm worried :( My YO said that if it were her horse, she'd get it checked out, so I'm going with her opinion. Hopefully the vet can get out asap so at the very least my mind can be put at rest.

Hi MMIK,

Try not to worry, he may have got over excited during the journey, or through the fence and banged it!.
Your vet should give you a good idea of what it is when he sees it.
Horses ('specially our natives) are resilliant, hardy little things, so try to keep calm and not worry to much tonight and I'm sure you'll find its something relatively minor.

Keep us updated :)

Yep, it is unfair Stella... 9 days into horse ownership :eek: I thought I was used to animal worries what with my menagerie of animals at home, but no, its a whole new kind of worry.

Thanks Madferret :) Its hard not to worry, but at least I know he's safely tucked up in his stable at the moment, had a nice grooming session, lots of pampering, got a nice salt lick in his stable that I bought today (he does nothing but lick me, so thought I'd see if there's a reason!), had a brand new headcollar this week too, he doesn't know how spoilt he is! ;) The past fortnight has been the most expensive of my life! :eek:

Oh no, I thought it would be good news! :(
Hopefully it won't take too long to put him right and you'll be able to ride soon. :)

I would definitely have a vet look at it. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing big. But you might as well start building up a relationship with a good vet. I hope you have an easier time finding one. No vets in our area are taking new clients. They have waiting lists for several months. Abby needs her teeth floated and I will probably have to call the local University's mobile service. Let us know what happens!

Good luck for today :D
At least you dont have a mare that nearly squirted on you yesterday and squirted up all the walls last night because the TB in the stable next to her was just so yummy :rolleyes:

xx

Tally has a slipping stifle. The vet showed me a way to get it back in when it slips, and said that it won't affect him, just make sure I keep his weight at a sensible level, and keep him in work. Am going to search for it on Google and have a ready :)

OK, I've found this:

"Luxating Patella: Otherwise commonly known as any one of the following:- Slipping Stifle, Slipping Patella, Locking Stifle and Locking Patella.
When a horse or pony 'rests' one of it's hind legs when sleeping standing up it will hook (for want of a better description!) one of the ligaments over a spur at the bottom of the femur in the stifle joint, which locks the leg straight to stop the horse falling over!
Sometimes, due to weakness, confirmation and sometimes injury this mechanism fails and the horse is unable to 'un-lock' it's joint. This is known as luxation. "

The vet said its not too bad as it can be slipped back in - if it were locked completely then that would be problem. He said when it happens, either turn him round in a very tight circle fast, which can get it back in again, or else bute him and put him out in his field, and a good gallop will get it back in again. Its basically a dislocating knee cap.

I don't know Brandysnap. They could have known about it, though I spoke to his previous owner this morning and said I was getting the vet out - she sounded surprised that I was having problems. It does make one wonder, as he was only with them for a couple of months. The owner before that though had him for 6 years and he did very well at HOYS and Olympia with her. Its likely to keep happening, yes, but shouldn't affect him badly. He may tend more towards arthritis later on, but I knew that would be a likelyhood anyway with the stuff that the vetting threw up (slipping stifles wasn't picked up on the vetting, but the vet today said that's not unusual as it comes and goes).

To be honest, I'm relieved its not something more serious. Tally can still do all I want him to do, which is really just provide me with loads of enjoyment. Of course in an ideal world, he'd be perfect, but there's not such thing ;)

I've read up, though there's not an awful not of info that I could find, and it seems that maybe some hill work will help build up the muscles and that could help with it. I'm wondering if it's shown itself because he's hardly been ridden since I've had him, as I was waiting for the saddle etc.

newrider.com