Talking a lot with the horse = silly?

ina.click

Jul 19, 2007
Bucharest, Romania
Ok I noticed a difference between me and other riders from the RS and I was wondering if I'm acting silly.

I talk a lot to the horses. While riding.
They don't that much.
They just give the vocal commands and carry on.

Actually I am talking stuff related to our riding too, don't imagine I recite them Shakespeare but still, I think I talk more than the whole school in there.

I talk that much because I am ...hiper-talkative anyways,I am trying to get my mind away from being tensed and I relax hearing my ow voice I guess, heh, and most importantly I'm...trying to get on well with the horse?

Examples:
When I try to start Fatima to trot (which doesnt happen very soon as she learned what a total douchebag I am) you can hear me mumbling "Come on young lady (yes, I call the mares young ladies....:eek:) come on darling, let;s trot please, otherwise M. (my RI) will come with that whip and we;re not going to be happy"

When I get tired, instead of saying just HOOOOOO!! I also slip "Woah this is getting exhausting, let's take a break" - > which actually works, everytime I even think of slowing down fatima slows down, heh, she would do anything but not run I guess.

I'm also saying "hello" and "goodbye" and "I'm so sorry!" if I yank on reins by mistake and lots of good girl and blah and blah.

I know they do not understand the meaning, I really do. I'm not that silly to believe they can understand every little word - including "young lady"), but I just can't stop...talking to them!

And nobody else talks nearly half as much as me in there! Some don't even talk at all! So far I have not been frowned upon or something but I did surprise some amused looks though :eek:

Am i being silly? Although even if I am, I'm afraid I can't stop talking - > look at the length of this rant for example.

..just tell me there are more like me please? tell me there is someone else that talks A LOT with horses?

its good, im like that, i find it much harder to have a conversation with people!

ignore the looks you get, if it works for you and your horse then carry on.

unless you are planning on doing dressage cos i dont think you are allowed to talk then.

I think its great that you talk to the horse, Im the same always nattering away,

always ask "hey fella how are ya" when i first see him "not that he's going to turn around and say "yeah im good thanks, was getting a little bored standing here, you come to ride me" lol

Dont worry about what others think, Its all about you and your horse. x

I shut up for a bit just before I give Joy clear and concise instructions so she doesn't get confused.

Once we have that sorted out then I start banging on about everything esle and talk to her. She responds well to voice and is grateful when I shut up too. Especially if I have been singing! :eek:

I do the same because i did not used to talk to the horses that i rode (sounds so silly:rolleyes:) until my instructor said "talk to him" and i find that he was alot more responsive once i started talking to him :D:D

:)I think that`s great!:) I`m always chatting / moaning about O/H to my fella! Horses will always listen (as they are true buddies), but they don`t voice an opion, quality IMO- good for you

And me - flony_pony's Flo is probably scared for life as have told her all about my problematic personal life when I was sharing her:eek:

I talk utter nonsense to Molly all the time - leading, riding, grooming, I like to think that she likes it and she talks back with sighs and grunts in all the right places - but then so does my cat! :eek:

If you like to talk then talk - the only thing I can definitely say is that it probably makes you more relaxed - as you have to breathe to talk and can't tense :)

I do chat with mine on a daily basis about anything and everything.:eek:

Yes, I talk to them way too much:p

I also tend to change song lyrics to include the ponies name or something about their character into it and then sing them the song. Repeatedly.:eek:

Last edited:
i found myself tonight singing "you are my sunshine" over the stable door to my 26 yr old shetland i did start to have a one way conversation with her about her water bucket but she just stood there with ears pricked forward and very alert to what i was saying but her kind sweet eyes said it all to me, she then came an stuck her nose on my chin and slobbered on me and then for good measure snotted in my face :D

i had a another one way conversation with my new baby coblet this morning telling him what we was going to be doing together as we grow older, he did listen and came over to nuzzle me but we are still getting to know each other so he was like ok mum what ever.

i have conversations with the chickens too, i think im a little insane i will be talking to the wheel barrow soon :)

i do have a little chat with all the horses some are very lengthy and i must bore some of them but my dogs are best they actually answer me back, not a clue what they are saying to me though they are prob saying OMG call the white van again she's being retarded lol

i enjoy talking to all my animals its nice that they dont answer you back when your having a moan but wish they couldtalk when they are sick

I'm very vocal, but it's always directed at what we're doing.

Examples -

"C'mon Sammy! Lets go! Wheeee Sammy! Yip yip yip"

"Sammy. TrrrrottING!

"Sammy. cANter!"

"Waaaaaaaaalking Sammy"

It's more about tone than what I'm saying I think. Faster is all excited tone and slower is calmer and slower.

When I hold him for the farrier (who he just tolerates, but absolutely hates) I'll witter quitely to him. I'll say anything in a very quiet voice.

When he got really worked up on a hack becuase there were cows AND a tractor I sang a lullaby to him, changing the words to sing about how harmless cows and tractors were and how Sam looks like cow. It also took my mind off the fact he was doing a snorting stallion act on concrete.

When I'm grooming or something I'm quiet. Unless I'm saying 'foot!'

You're not silly at all, I talk to the horses I ride all the time, some of it related to what we're doing (or supposed to be doing!) and some of it just chatter. I like to give verbal encouragement ect and when i hack outon my own with Spike I sing and talk to him, I must sound really silly sometimes, last week he was a bit fresh out on a hack so to help calm him I sang nursery rhymes! He likes twinkle twinkle little star I have found, and row, row, row your boat! Ifit works for you don't worry about what others might think, just carry on!

We had a spooky incident with a loose chick'n on the road the other day..cue loud rendition of American Pie :eek: Oh dear.It makes me feel so stupid, I relax, she relaxs, all is well ;)

I talk to all my animals all the time. The only thing I did find was that when I was in a RS and I said "ok horsey, pretty please can we canter in the next corner, thank you very much lovely horse", or "ok, please can we go into trot now", the "answer" I always got was "shut up fool, I'm not going to do that so ha ha". But, when I was more direct talking to them saying "right, here comes the corner, we are going to canter", the horse was much more responsive.

Now, I always say hello and goodbye when I see my share horse and ask how he is. He's very responsive to vocal commands so will go into trot and canter if you mention those words. Otherwise, if he's scared of plastic bags, I'll say "steady, it's ok, it won't hurt you" or if he's having one of those days where he decides to take the mick its "Get on". My OH is completely different, when he's with him its, "Alright mate, how's it hanging", "Your my mate", "Get off my foot mate", "Don't look at me mate, I can't stop her grooming you", "Know how you feel mate, don't even argue just do what she says, that's the best way" and so on.....:p

Haha, well you should see me, Harley knows everything about me - most the time I just sit on him and tell him stories about what happened today, or maybe even something that happened 5 years ago!

It's good to talk to them like that, because I believe that they can understand you and will behave better. And no way is it silly, and who cares if they don't talk to their horses? Just means you'll find a better bond, ;).

i talk to the horses at the RS :)
even when im out on my own for a hack we always have a little convo :)
im sure one man thought i was mad when he wer walking past us as i were saying ''now its only a man in a bright jacket nothing to worry about''

lol :)

Oh i always talk to my horses or ponies! Anyone who knows me will tell you i'm a chatterbox anyway!! The only time i don't is when i'm really concentrating in a lesson but most of the time in lessons, and especially on hacks when i get a bit nervous, i'm chatting away, or humming! If at the back of the ride i may even sing quietly (quietly because it might offend my horse or the rider in front of me LOL)

So carry on chatting ina.click! I really think it's a good way to relax, bond and enjoy your ride, plus as you talk you HAVE to breathe, and breathing means you sit better and are more relaxed......this is good for me as i'm constantly being told "BREATHE" by my RI!! :p

I'm always nattering to the horses :) i don't think it's silly at all. I'll chat about anything and everything; i even tell them stories :D. And you can tell them whatever you want without worrying wht they'll say or anyone else knowing - Billy knows all my secrets ;):D!

newrider.com