Sweet itch or what? How do you tell the difference?

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
Soooo fed up - realised today that my horse (who did have a gorgeous full mane) has been scratching and now has a very thinned out patch along the lower part of his crest, about six inches long. You can only see it from above really (when riding him), or if you part his mane, but it's upset me and worried me terribly. Is this the start of the long road of hideous sweet itch or just an itchy spot, if you know what I mean? How could I tell?

He didn't have the problem at all last year. I've dashed out and bought a fly rug although the fit is dreadful and I'll have to buy a more expensive one. Likewise I've tried various repellants but the most effective was reacting badly with his skin, so had to stop that. I've put a soothing cream on the spot to try and dull the irritation, which is quite greasy, but can this make matters worse? What do you all think? Thanks.

How old is he? Sweetitch tends to start after they are a couple of years old, how long have you had him and have you moved yards recently?

There are lots of itchy horses about this year and my mare has a very thin rubbish mane from a combination of rubbing on the very inviting telegraph poles and other horses chewing it off!

It might be worth check and treating for lice too.

It does sound like sweetitch and it can vary year by year depending on the weather - all this wet isn't helping this year.

You could try Deosect - it will keep flies away and kill mites. I use that to prevent sweetitch. For the sore bits I use Nettex Itch Stop but it is a bit greasy.

if hes never done it before and his environment hasnt changed id suspect mites ...

keep an eye on it, if he starts scratching line a loon all over it may well be SI, if he sticks to just the mane it probly isnt!

julia
x

He does seem to be itchy all over. He's 6, I've had him a year and a half, no change of yard, and he was fine in exactly the same place/routine last year. Although, I was bringing him in at night last summer (11ish at night and then going out first thing) as he was a bit nervy, whereas this year he's out 24/7.

Trouble is, he also seems to have quite senstive skin as I finally found a repellant that worked but then realised that it was making his skin scaly where I'd applied it.

Thanks folks.

PS. What would mites actually look like? He's groomed very thoroughly at least 4 times a week though - wouldn't I see something crawling?

He could just be feeling itchy, have you bathed him lately, my boy is very sensitve and loves a good scratch especially around his mane where scuff builds up.

I wash his mane and tail with Polytar shampoo as this is great for lice as well not that my lad has lice.

It is really for people with lice in their hair etc and can be bought from any chemist or Tesco's. You don't need to use much either as it lathers up quite well.

newrider.com