**Sweet Itch, Hints and Tips**

I just use the pink one, I don't use Deet at all as it looks quite harsh. Coopers is supposed to be very good although have to apply it with gloves so I wouldn't say it'd be any good for broken skin or udders.

Like pfball I use the snuggy hoods rug with udder cover :)

Ok I'll add the pink one to my shopping list. I used Coopers the year before last although not on the udders. It was ok but I wasn't jumpng up and down. Gives the coat a nice shine.

I've got a couple of sets of snuggy hoods but find them a bit heavy for very hot weather. The trouble with using the udder covers is I find they rub the insides of her back legs especially when wet with pee making things even worse.

I'm mainly using the Pagony and the Van meulankemp (sic?) from Solva and am experimenting with a snuggy hoods sweet itch head to go with them but the fitting on this is a pain - it's being sent back before spring to get some alterations done. The Cornstones hood looks good.

This might be worth adding to the shopping list. Freederm Gel. Apparently you can buy it at chemists over the counter. It is a nicotinamide (vitamin B3) gel which is known to have anti inflammatory properties. It's about £6.50 a tube. You can also buy Cavalesse on line (which contains nicotinamide) and they do a gel as well but I suspect the Freederm gel for humans will be a lot cheaper:happy:wink:

I might get a tube to try on any really bad bites. Have decided not to go for the Cavalesse at moment I asked Top Spec to have a look at the ingredients and apparently Anti Lam already contains it.

Let us know how big the tubes are? I didnt find the cream effective at all - much prefer sudocrem. But I also prefer sudocrem to flamazine - find dirt sticks to the other two too easily!

The cavalesse tubes are also very small, so run out long before the sachets do.

So my new sweetitch rugs came through yesterday. Am thinking after seeing all of the nasty midges out last night that I am going to be rugging the sweetitch prone shetland tonight. :( Boooo! when did the season come round so quickly?? Prob going to start up his supplements today as well. Every year I say is going to be the year I keep his tail and mane!! This year will be that year lol

Hope all you sweetitch prone people are all prepared xx

Youve only just had them!?!?!?!?!?! Most of us have had them for weeeeeeeeeeks! Lucky you!

The Global Herbs Skratch still seems to be working miracles on madam... Im so glad its one less thing to bother about.

I started rugging and fly spraying a few weeks ago before I saw any midges and I've not noticed any significant scratching yet - so far so good! She has also been having brewers yeast all winter to keep her levels topped up and I have increased the dose slightly for the summer

Yes we seem to be quite lucky with the midges...and then they come in force!! :unsure: Well we are in that stage now... they seem to be decending on us!

Global herbs back in his feed and rugs on..sorry Mr B your not going to get much sun on your back this spring/summer..does make me feel guilty that the others are sunning themselves and he's covered up - still .. all for the greater good!

This is my first year with Scarlet, I found out, after i put the deposit on her, from one of the women at the stables that she has sweet itch...read so much about it and using kilitch and a normal fly rug atm, she seems ok. I do have a pagony as back up but at the moment she'd prob stress more trying to get her into it.

She has also been getting brewers yeast in her feed since feb. As i do not know how bad she was last year i have nothing to compare to...if things get worse i'll try the cavalesse next year ( I believe its to be used as early in the season as poss so i kinda missed the boat)

good to know there are folk out there with lots of good suggestions on how to help our poor itchy horses/ponies

Yes, but fed in a marmite sandwich and she eats it without fail :D it has made her smell like cat pee though - no wonder flies don't like her anymore!!! :giggle:

Yes, but fed in a marmite sandwich and she eats it without fail :D it has made her smell like cat pee though - no wonder flies don't like her anymore!!! :giggle:

I can vouch for the cat pee smell! I use icing sugar and fast fibre to mix mine in and although he can smell it, the sweetness of the icing sugar is to much to give up and walk away! :yellowcarded:

NEEM OIL...fantastic results for me my boy suffered with it to a degree of na tail or mane bleeding open sores it was horrendous now by putting neem oil on him he goes out with nothing...i use pure neem oil and compressed neem oil...but i have to warn you it stinks...but stinks or not my boy is a happy fly free zone before this he was never without a rug :furious: ehe would be rugged through the winter then come summer he would have a sweet itch rug on...

Albert has been really bad with sweet itch this year :( he had a touch last year but nothing like this.

So what does everyone suggest? I've ordered some shampoo to give him a wash this weekend, he wont eat GH Scratch or Fly Free so I am going to experiment with ways of trying to get it down him. What fly spray/creams/potions work best?

He has rubbed most of his mane and face and started on his tail, all within the last week. :(

Years ago I had a mare that had sweet itch and it was actually our vet who told me to try Avon skin so soft spray when I mentioned her sweet itch. It worked well, used to use a sweet itch rug and skin so soft and it really did work.xxx

Avon skin so soft? Anyone uses that? I was browsing now and found they have a special green bottle eith bug control. Everybody is on about "the green bottle". Is that the one with the bug control what I want?

Avon skin so soft is in a greenish bottle, I also use on vets advice diosect diluted and sprayed onto fly rugs, if needing to stop the itch scratch cycle piriton or cheaper equivelant works fab too. I also used isaderm to stop the cycle but piriton gives great results. You can get it from the chemist and it's the same as the vet sells but a lot cheaper, don't tell them it's for a horse though as they are unlicensed to it for animal use :) x

newrider.com