Supplements Regulations-Ban on Herbs Etc

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Ok following on from the worming ban thread, this is also happening.

I do feel we use too many supplements and there isn't enough evidence to prove that they do work. I am not referring to single use herbs, i mean the companies that mass produce supplements and you don't really know what it is there.

This is humans at this stage but its only a matter of time before it includes the horses. The ban on advertising for worming products is all part of this shake up surely.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/european-union-ban-on-herbal-products/

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings.

People but them because they think they work. If they work then they could also have negative affects and be dangerous if overdosed or mixed with other drugs.

If they work then it would be useful to know strength, purity and quality of the products.

I have felt for a while we over supplement our horses. We reach for a tub to solve the problems. If they lack something i would prefer someone qualified to prescribe it rather than selecting something myself.
We don't know what's in human food, so there must be stuff in horse that doesn't need mentioning as under a certain percent.

However, those qualified can't prescribe due to it costing around 80 thousand to get a licence to sell!

"Feeding cannot change a horses temprament"

I read this somewhere a few months ago and it has really stuck with me!

Mind you, I'm the lady that supplements my horse with cattle minerals! :D

I have felt for a while we over supplement our horses. We reach for a tub to solve the problems. If they lack something i would prefer someone qualified to prescribe it rather than selecting something myself.
We don't know what's in human food, so there must be stuff in horse that doesn't need mentioning as under a certain percent.

However, those qualified can't prescribe due to it costing around 80 thousand to get a licence to sell!

See I disagree as having it prescribed limits the options. Silver doesn't tolerate synthetic chemicals (eg vaccs, Pergolide) very well. The vets nod and smile a me when I explain she is managed by global herbs products and lifestyle - and wouldn't prescribe them - but take her off them and I have problems.

Its going to effects us all in different ways, some people i talk to don't care. But there is a petition.

newrider.com