posie

Honey's slave...
Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
www.barkscotland.com
...please :D
honey is currently ridden in this:

lozeggbuttsnaffle.jpg

for everything and goes really well - she's not a strong horse at all and is very soft mouthed. She was fussy in a loose ring and it rubbed her and she doesn't like single jointed bits.... so this is perfect for us :)

BUT - i'm keen to do some local shows with her and would like to show her in a double *look* bridle - ie two reins....

any suggestions? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Well I ride in a pelham, not just for showing for everything though, im not sure of the affect this would have a horse with a soft mouth? Im sure if you kept the pelham (bottom rein) longer than than the snaffle rein, there shouldnt be that much difference

sop will your horse not take two bits if you just want a double 'look' one? rugby ones are most double look but if you can get a proper double than all the better.

For a rugby pelham I believe you need a Sliphead this may create unessecary (sp) poll pressure that she isnt used to?

I use a normal pelham with only the need for the extra rein (loose, not to cause that unwanted poll pressure)

HJ x

Not trying to cause a fight, I know nothing about showing so am just interested. Why would you want it to look like you were using a double bridle anyway? Surely it's better you can show your horse being ridden in a snaffle and still behaving well? I presumed showing was 'showing' off the horse and it's paces not what it's wearing? Or am I being really thick? :D (Wouldn't be the first time!!)
;)

Not trying to cause a fight, I know nothing about showing so am just interested. Why would you want it to look like you were using a double bridle anyway? Surely it's better you can show your horse being ridden in a snaffle and still behaving well? I presumed showing was 'showing' off the horse and it's paces not what it's wearing? Or am I being really thick? :D (Wouldn't be the first time!!)
;)

nope - dont worry - i think it's daft too! lol ;)
but it's correct attire for ridden hunter classes :)
i don't really want to put a double on her as she's fussy in the mouth and i think she'd not like it :rolleyes:
so lokos like pelham will be our best bet :) but i wont take contact with bottom rein....

ETA - same mouth peice do you think or shall i try a straight bar? suppose i can but try to see what she likes...?

nope - dont worry - i think it's daft too! lol ;)
but it's correct attire for ridden hunter classes :)
i don't really want to put a double on her as she's fussy in the mouth and i think she'd not like it :rolleyes:
so lokos like pelham will be our best bet :) but i wont take contact with bottom rein....

ETA - same mouth peice do you think or shall i try a straight bar? suppose i can but try to see what she likes...?

Thank you. I'm trying to learn all about showing as we hold them through the summer at my yard. My friend asked if she could take my horse in a New comers class last year and I made myself look a right dunce by saying 'but he's not new I've had him 4 years!!!' :eek:

You can get double jointed pelhams, just to keep to the same mouthpiece, but the curb chain would then have little/no effect but I suppose that doesn't matter if you dont need to use the curb rein anyway. I use a double jointed rugby but might be better with a normal pelham (someone else said about the sliphead creating extra poll pressure?). :)

I'd start with a bog standard pelham with a cambridge mouth. Few horses like jointed pelhams because of the way it affects the curb action. I know you don't plan on using the curb but it is still a deciding factor.

Daffy is ridden in a Sprenger KK Ultra, similar to yours except loose ring, and if he absolutely had to be in a pelham it'd be a ported one (which still provides enough room for his tongue), but he dislikes the action and much prefers a double bridle.

A loose ring show pelham looks similar to a double bridle, but you do not need to use a sliphead - I see lots of horses shown in this bit.

Google loose ring show pelham

^i prefer the look of them compared to a rugby pelham :)

start with a mullen mouth, cambridge or ported pelham, then try a jointed one :)

I'd start with a bog standard pelham with a cambridge mouth. Few horses like jointed pelhams because of the way it affects the curb action. I know you don't plan on using the curb but it is still a deciding factor.

I dislike jointed snaffles for exactly this reason!

A loose ring show pelham looks similar to a double bridle, but you do not need to use a sliphead - I see lots of horses shown in this bit.

Google loose ring show pelham

They are great :)

thanks for suggestions guys :) i'll see how she goes in the different mouth peices - i think i'll start with the lozenge pelham (exactly same as my current bit but pelham - decided against a rugby :)) then try a cambridge etc mouth if she's not happy with that.

Double is correct attire hun but not entirely necessary unless your going affiliated.:)

I have a rugby pelham for Kia and he bolted through it:rolleyes:

Changed back to our loopring snaffle and hes going a treat. I am going to get him a little show pelham at somepoint you can get them with lozenges as well.

Ride her in what ever feels comfy Kia goes much better in the loop ring and his sweet iron loose ring than in his pelham!!:)

Nikki xxx

newrider.com