Sugar Beet Substitute??

NoviceNic

Sexy Dressage Pony
May 7, 2003
On my horses back...
Visit site
I am feeding Captain on Beet, Ossi chaff and economy mix just as a token jesture at the moment. However after reading that Speedibeet causes itchiness on some horses I was wondering whether I should look at removing beet from Captain's feed to see if there is any improvement. I could just try chafff and mix and water it a little. Just wondering what else I could use instead of Beet??

I put P on a diet of Simple Systems stuff when I took her off Speedibeet - a mixture of Meadowbix & Lucienuts. She's done well on it, perhaps slightly too well in fact - I'm hoping she'll have another growth spurt, if not she'll be looking like a bloatie pudding before long!

If you can get Rowan & Barbary feeds, you could try readybran. It bulks up quite nicely as you soak it for a few minutes before feeding. Mine all eat it well and as it's a fibre based feed, it's hind gut digestion. Linky if it works -http://www.targetfeeds.com/index2.htm

edit - ok, linky doesn't work as I wanted it to! Go to horse feeds, know which product, product guide, then to soft n soak range. Hmmm, not the easiest linky to use :D

Last edited:
Ive heard Spillers fibre cubes are quite good, they're like a beet that you soak into a nice mush, tasty im sure!

newrider.com