Struggling out hacking

skewbald_girl

May 27, 2009
Surrey
My share horse has taken to planting, staring and turning round / attempting to make for home when out hacking... This happened last Sunday (http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203129) and I thought it was a one off, but he did it again today and we had to choose a different route.

While a bit of a spooky horse, he didn't do this before - he'd just get startled at things and you could squeeze on, no problems.

Any idea what's going on? Do I need to hack out in company in future?

On the plus side, he did a couple of lovely clear rounds yesterday - he really looks after me while jumping.

My share horse has taken to planting, staring and turning round / attempting to make for home when out hacking... This happened last Sunday (http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203129) and I thought it was a one off, but he did it again today and we had to choose a different route.

While a bit of a spooky horse, he didn't do this before - he'd just get startled at things and you could squeeze on, no problems.

Any idea what's going on? Do I need to hack out in company in future?

On the plus side, he did a couple of lovely clear rounds yesterday - he really looks after me while jumping.

Is this happening at any particular time? Is it everytime he is spooked at something?

Hard to identify what he's spooking at, or if he's trying it on.

At least he's not horribly strong when he decides to leg it.

This is exactly what my mare (who I also share) was reacting like. She started to even refuse leaving the gate - but after I spoke with her owner about it (because I honestly didn't know if she was genuinly scared about going out etc.) she said she give her a smack on her arse and get her going, she's just taking the mick!

Then when I went out hacking, she'd see 'something' that I couldn't, even when cars weren't about and it was quiet... she'd stopped dead still and I could do NOTHING to get her to move! She'd then after a minute or two, turn around and run the opposite way and get herself all het up.

It was a problem that was happening quite regularly but now she is fine. When she is scared now she'll either jump sideways or stop still, but she won't put on the performance that she used to.

I don't know what you're like obviously :eek: but maybe he just needs a more firm approach? So as soon as you set off, make sure he KNOWS that you won't be having any of it because in my opinion I think he's probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, if it's in relation to him spooking at something.

Like most people, you can sometimes just relax so much out hacking that you let them get away with little bits that they shouldn't, so if you do this, start not letting him do anything as then the firmness will set into him and keep your voice firm (not at all saying be horrible to the lad don't get me wrong :rolleyes:) but just give it a go, as I thought I was being firm with Wren as I am a confident rider, but they can take the mick a bit when you don't realise and then when silly behaviour like this occurs, you can't understand why. So give it a go and see if he's any different. Also just make sure your leg is on all the time and maybe try and do lots of short bursts of trotting and stuff, to keep him going the way you want for starters and something for him to think about! It works well with Wren as she is a BIG baby so likes the leg on and talking to as it reassures her constantly.

(Not critting your riding at all, just saying this because that's what was up with me and Wren and they sound like they are displaying similar behaviour :)) Good luck! x

Last edited:
newrider.com