Stretching Exercises For Riders?

Returning_Rider

'L' Plates Required
Sep 13, 2009
N. Ireland
Hey Everyone

Yesterday, I attended my 1st lesson in about 6 years and I had the same old problem of getting brief cramps in each hip as I sat down into the saddle for the first time, which would last a few minutes before fading again, and so I wondered if there are any good exercises and/or stretches to do in order to become more subtle to avoid having cramps when mounting?

At the moment, I'm happy to ride once a month until I can get a few other things sorted out, but thought it would worth asking about this as I imagine plenty of other riders may have experienced this and would be useful for other new riders to be aware of some exercises to help become more subtle in the saddle.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yoga and pilates generally. Also have a look at this page:
http://www.classicaldressage.co.uk/html/useful_rider_stretches.html

Another good one for stretching hips I find is: kneel upon both knees, then lift your left knee and put your left foot flat on the ground in front of you. Lean forward as far as you can over your left leg keeping your right knee firmly on the ground - you should feel the front of your right hip stretching. repeat on other side.

Hi Emily, thank you very much for your reply and input, I really appreciate it alot :)

Hip stretches are mostly what I would need to work on most, but the other stretch exercises will be good to work on also :)

Thank you very much once again and I'll see how the exercises go over the next few weeks as I may just go riding every 2 weeks, instead of once a month, but I'll see how things go first :)

I'm suffering with my hips too. Haven't been riding as much so i blame it on that! But yes pilates is so good for core strength & flexibility, it's just a case of being motivated enough to roll around on the floor for an hour or so several times a week to reap the benefits. Lol. ;)

Must take my own advice.

Hi Gem :)

I know what you mean :) lol, I've tried a few stretches already and they certainly help and like anything else, it's a matter of perseverance, effort and a little determination :)

I'm glad that you mentioning those stretches as I used to do them when I first started going riding and they seemed to do the trick, but I got to wondering if there were any other stretches and exercises that would with being more relaxed and subtle in the saddle :)

I started doing yoga again last night after hearing many people say it really helps. It nearly killed me and made me feel sick!!!!!! I must remember 'everything in moderation' ;)

I've been doing pilates because I've HAD too really owing to a chronic health problem.

All I can say is it's BRILLIANT! I've been doing it about 4 weeks now and I've lost inches everywhere, I'm standing taller and before I started I couldn't touch my toes and I can now lay both palms flat on the floor.

The difference it's made to my seat and lower leg position when riding is enormous! I'm much more secure and don't struggle to maintain the right position.

There are some great hip stretches in it as well as others!

I've just bought a DVD from amazon 'Pilates for riders' :cool: It sounds really good. It looks at riders pitfalls & problems in the saddle then works on it with pilates.

Yeh will do!!! Argh... LOL now i've really got to do it, as soon as it arrives in the post i'll give it a whirl, hopefully my hamstrings will remain intact to make it to the keyboard afterwards.

Seriously though it sounds good & really helpful for all types of riders. :D

newrider.com