Strange black mites?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
A couple of weeks ago when we were having thundery hot weather (what a distant memory that is:tongue:) I noticed outside our bedding storage room a humungous pile of black dust. Only when I looked closely the dust was moving and wriggling! :skull: Yuk, thinks I, what is this?! When I looked further - I could see millions of them all over the stable base outside and clinging to bits of straw that had escaped. I quickly sprayed them with Lincoln fly spray (tis all it is fit for - but that is another matter :tongue:) Anybody any ideas what they were? OH assumed they hatched out cos of the ridiculous temperature? I am a bit worried they're living still in my straw supply - don't fancy introducing those into Storm's stable - have enough problems with her itching her tail as it is (think bottle brush effect).
Any idea what they could be?:help:

They sound like Thunder Bugs to me, normally come out on mass when they start harvesting the cereals round here. They can be annoying if crawling on your arm but they don't normally bother the horses much:wink:

Oooh, Thunder Bugs - sounds like a good name!lol, glad they won't bother Storm - as I said she's got enough itchy things going on atm! (We have the bottle brush effect each morning as a result of her rubbing against the door frame!)

newrider.com