**Stinky**Carpet Help needed please

MistyGal

Jan 24, 2011
Norfolk
I had my parents dogs over last weekend and their elderly lab with kidney disease wee'd in my lounge on carpet not even a year old.

We cleaned it up and poured some special enzyme/bacteria stuff on it from pets at home to stop it smelling as it was still rancid. :poop::poop:

I then borrowed my parents Vax carpet cleaner and now the carpet reeks!!:frown::frown::frown:
Its like a wet damp foul smell and i cant seem to shift it. i am hoping it will dissapear when it dries properly and have put the heating on.

Anyone got any other idea's???:help::help::help:
Bloomin animals hey!

Make up a spray of water and white vinegar and spray on the worst patches, then spread bicarb around, leave it overnight (or longer if you can), vacuum.

Vanish carpet foam is great, but don't worry, when I shampoo my carpets the whole house smells of wet sheep for a day or so before they are fully dry. It will go.

Yeah i got the wet sheep too.... I am just praying when it dries smell will go.

3 tubs of bicorbonate i put down last night, hoovered this morning, still damp and smelly though so heating back on...

Heating on and open the windows and get a good draught blowing through.

Make up a spray of water and white vinegar and spray on the worst patches, then spread bicarb around, leave it overnight (or longer if you can), vacuum.

I don't think your supposed to use vinegar for urine smells. Might be wrong, but sure I read it somewhere when I was looking into it for my carpet.

I am going to invest in a Bissel carpet shampooer.

I have a Vax wet and dry vac and a vax carpet shampooer. Both worth their weight in gold. When my little house flooded I managed to wet and dry the flood out and didn't need to make an insurance claim or even get the carpet up.

I have a Vax wet and dry vac and a vax carpet shampooer. Both worth their weight in gold. When my little house flooded I managed to wet and dry the flood out and didn't need to make an insurance claim or even get the carpet up.

I used to borrow one of the vax machines and it was good but also really like the Bissel one that heats the water.
Very satisfying seeing just how grubby your carpets are!
OH just wants to banish the pooches instead...

I do the hall and lounge carpets about twice a year and get what looks like the contents of a cement mixer out of them.

When I do the B&B guest bedroom and sitting room where cats and dogs are NOT ALLOWED, all that comes out is a bit of cloudy water!

But my dogs are worth it.......mind you, come to think of it, it's not a fair comparisson. OH and teenage son rarely go into the guest bedroom or sitting room either......

I don't think your supposed to use vinegar for urine smells. Might be wrong, but sure I read it somewhere when I was looking into it for my carpet.

I used it when my cat was elderly and couldn't quite get to the litterbox in time... don't remember it doing any visible damage

*shrugs*

I am maybe/probabaly havering nonsense! It just rings a bell in my brain about something. probably for a different stain totally!:wub:

LOL I dunno, you could well be right, I don't live in that house (where the cat peed) any more, so gawd knows what state the carpet was in! :giggle:

Erm... no Wally... afraid not
It seems that the underlay is still wet, its just a damp smell... I just cannot get it to dry and have to keep wetting it and trying to reclean it.... I am getting fed up now... might have to get a proffesional in..:-((

newrider.com