Still stuck on post and trotting

Horse<3

Aug 16, 2022
Hi! I have been post and trotting for 6 years now and I can not seem to start cantering. On the other hand both of my friends started cantering and jumping after a year of trotting. I am also about to give up all hope. But before I do I need was wondering if anyone else is still stuck on trotting or how long they have been trotting for before they started cantering. I am also looking to see if anyone has any tips.

If you are riding at a school, ask the them and if it's not a valid reason, change schools.
You should have been offered at least a lunge lesson by now!
I was cantering after about six months.

I guess it depends on how often you ride? If you are riding for an hour a week, I would have thought that after 6 years you would be competent to canter, but if you are riding for an hour a month, then perhaps not. Probably best to discuss with your riding instructor.

You've actually started another thread about not being able to control your feet, you couldn't stop the pony.
You didn't mention that important part to us.

Reactions: carthorse
No one should risk their safety in order to canter. Canter is not compulsory. I havent seen the other thread, but I tink we sould look at the trot. But have you asked to canter? Does the teacher know you want to canter?

By posting to trot, I assume we mean USA posting, in UK rising trot. It is called posting because it was invented by post boys who until then had sat the trot.
I think that sitting the trot is a very important step in learning to ride. And one needs to sit the trot before one can ask for canter. But most people learn to rise to the trot first.
You can learn to post regularly by watching the outside front leg of the horse in trot. Rise when that leg goes forward and sit, then rise next time it goes forward. If you get out of time, just stay sitting for an extra bump and try again. Think of swinging your hips gently forwards between your hands.

To sit the trot smoothly you need to understand what the hind legs of the horse are doing. Riding in walk you should feel the rhythm of 4 beats and your seat should dip, first one side and then the other as the horse moves its back legs. Beginners think that their seat rises when the horse lifts its hind leg that side. But this is not so. When the horse takes its hind leg off the ground, that corner of the horse actually dips. Imagine a table. If you remove the supporting leg at one corner, that corner will dip.

Next time you ride, try to feel this rise and fall of your hips in walk. Once that is easy, see if you can concentrate and feel the same side to side movement in trot. It isnt easy but learning to sit trot safely is a very important stage in learning to canter.

Good luck to you.

I guess it depends on how often you ride? If you are riding for an hour a week, I would have thought that after 6 years you would be competent to canter, but if you are riding for an hour a month, then perhaps not. Probably best to discuss with your riding instructor.
I only ride for 30 mins a week sometimes I skip a few weeks bc I’m busy doing something else or my trainer isn’t available.

If you are riding at a school, ask the them and if it's not a valid reason, change schools.
You should have been offered at least a lunge lesson by now!
I was cantering after about six months.
I was offered a lunge lesson when I started out but I guess she thinks I’m good enough to trot by myself. Also what should I ask her?

No one should risk their safety in order to canter. Canter is not compulsory. I havent seen the other thread, but I tink we sould look at the trot. But have you asked to canter? Does the teacher know you want to canter?

By posting to trot, I assume we mean USA posting, in UK rising trot. It is called posting because it was invented by post boys who until then had sat the trot.
I think that sitting the trot is a very important step in learning to ride. And one needs to sit the trot before one can ask for canter. But most people learn to rise to the trot first.
You can learn to post regularly by watching the outside front leg of the horse in trot. Rise when that leg goes forward and sit, then rise next time it goes forward. If you get out of time, just stay sitting for an extra bump and try again. Think of swinging your hips gently forwards between your hands.

To sit the trot smoothly you need to understand what the hind legs of the horse are doing. Riding in walk you should feel the rhythm of 4 beats and your seat should dip, first one side and then the other as the horse moves its back legs. Beginners think that their seat rises when the horse lifts its hind leg that side. But this is not so. When the horse takes its hind leg off the ground, that corner of the horse actually dips. Imagine a table. If you remove the supporting leg at one corner, that corner will dip.

Next time you ride, try to feel this rise and fall of your hips in walk. Once that is easy, see if you can concentrate and feel the same side to side movement in trot. It isnt easy but learning to sit trot safely is a very important stage in learning to canter.

Good luck to you.
I have already learned to sit and trot but we aren’t working on that the past few lessons we’ve been just post and trotting.

I was offered a lunge lesson when I started out but I guess she thinks I’m good enough to trot by myself. Also what should I ask her?
A lunge lesson in canter.
Ask why you are not cantering, though your comment on not being able to stop the pony would worry me about you going up a gait.

A lunge lesson in canter.
Ask why you are not cantering, though your comment on not being able to stop the pony would worry me about you going up a gait.
Oh I thought you meant a lunge lessn in trotting. My trainer taught me to make the stirrups longer when I am having trouble with my feet after the accident.

newrider.com