Standing in canter

It would be helpful if you posted the two Italian phrases. We speak some Italian and also live next door to Italians who ride ride horses.

In case it has not been said, the term Canter (relating to Canterbury pilgrims) is not used outside the UK. The footfall of the horse is different in Canter as opposed to Gallop, but some languages use the same word and some dont have a specific word at all.
Canter is used in the US as well, but yes, here in Italy it's called galoppo (gallop). The two phrases are "in piede" and "l'inforcatura." I'm fluent in Italian so the problem isn't understanding the meaning of it, I was just curious as to the purpose of being "in piede" when cantering as I don't remember doing it when I was younger. But now I'm pretty sure based off of things my instructor has said that it's just to help with getting the body trained to keeping heels down and working on balance for when we do jumps. But let me know what your neighbours say! My instructor doesn't speak English so I would be interested to hear it from their perspective of knowing both languages and being riders.

Western seems to have a completely different language though, I think most disciplines would translate to walk, trot, canter and gallop rather than jog and lope. I think a dressage rider of any nationality would be horrified if they were told they were jogging 🤣

Reactions: Nierva
Most languages have small and big gallop and no word for canter. Canter came to UK English (only) from going to Canturbury on pilgrimage. Posting to trot came to via USA post boys. UK English rises to the trot. But countries with pacing horses may have several different gaits and words. As for Western jogging, it is smooth and slow and one does not rise to it. Thus in the language as in letting things jog along. Or a "jog trot". I taught Maisie to jog. Havent taught Ella as she doesnt seem the right shape.

Canter is used in the US as well, but yes, here in Italy it's called galoppo (gallop). The two phrases are "in piede" and "l'inforcatura." I'm fluent in Italian so the problem isn't understanding the meaning of it, I was just curious as to the purpose of being "in piede" when cantering as I don't remember doing it when I was younger. But now I'm pretty sure based off of things my instructor has said that it's just to help with getting the body trained to keeping heels down and working on balance for when we do jumps. But let me know what your neighbours say! My instructor doesn't speak English so I would be interested to hear it from their perspective of knowing both languages and being riders.
Bringing down the tone of this I know, but I love that word "galoppo"

Reactions: Nierva
newrider.com