Stage 3 riding exam

Rainbow33

May 14, 2009
I have just had my assesment for my stage 3 riding and have been told I need to brush up on my terminology. After the flatwork part of the exam you have to tell the examiner how the horse went and what you would do to improve it etc...My words always get muddled and I come out with really basic things.

Can any one give me some buzz words that the examiners like to hear???

I am really worried I will get all tongue tied and unable to describe the horse

impulsion and flexion are good ones to start with. also say which rein they went better on and how their paces were. do they collect and extend nicely within their paces. mention if they are going flat and not getting their hocks underneath them as well.

Thank you both - at least now I can try and get thoses stuck in my head and reference them back to whatever horse I get :)

Hello!
The 'formula' I have learnt for this (based around the scales of training I think) is:

-Start with something positive e.g. I like this horse because it tried hard for me
-Address whether it is going forward: is it responsive to your aids or could it be more responsive? Is running away from the leg? Is it rushing rather than working correctly from behind?
-Is it straight or does it drift when asked to go straight? Is it falling out through shoulder/quarters
-Is it bending correctly? Which rein does it find easiest?
-Was it able to work laterally? Which rein was it better on?
-Does it have three correct paces? Does it hold a rhythm? Which pace was best?

Hope this helps :)

newrider.com