Speeding up when moving into the wind

xRobyn

& phil :)
Mar 20, 2009
Essex
I've noticed that both on the lunge, and ridden, Phil will speed up or go up a pace when he is moving into the wind. Any idea why this might be? It gets quite frustrating at times :confused:

My horse is always a little more energetic when we're out on a windy day(if thats what you mean).The wind confuses the sense of smell somewhat and also can distort sounds so my horse simply gets a bit more vigilant and hyper.I do find that once he works a little and starts to relax the energy level comes down a bit.Just a natural response in that self preservation mode.If they cannot smell and hear approaching potential danger clearly,they keep their energy up in case they have to react.most of the horses at the stable I board at are the same.However once they realize you are relaxed they generally do too.

Thank you :) I probably don't help because I don't let him trot into the wind because then he breaks into a canter lol I will try to keep riding him into the wind until he realises everything is ok and he doesn't need to get excited.

haha! thats funny!

i dunno anything on that...

my dog likes to stick his head out of the window f moving car (we think) he thinks he is running THAT fast...

newrider.com