Sorry another thread from me! special deal 2 in 1

xstephx

Freddie & Marley x
Jan 12, 2008
Leicestershire
www.handonhealing.co.uk
Long post well two in one really!

Well i had the vet to Fred this afternoon as i suspected laminitis, he was much better today than yesterday, only a little footy, i think he wanted to show me up, he always does!! Anyway i had a very good look at his hooves scrubbed them out completely and found what i had believed to be a bit of extra growth on his sole at the edge was actually the wall and the sole seperating :eek: on all 4 hooves! i got extremely paranoid it was going to be something horrific and was going to be the end of my boy. Anyway vet says probably has a touch of mild laminitis, and to box rest for 5 days, also to get farrier to trim feet, he is due a trim and was booked in for the 27th which will have been about 8 weeks since his last trim. He doesn't grow an awful lot of hoof very quick. She wasn't overly concerned about the wall and sole seperation as she thought his toes were too long and that this was probably natures way of trying to chip the toe off. But even she hadn't really seen before the way the sole was seperating, it looks as if it is almost peeling back sort of rolling under. Just wondering if anybody has seen this before? :confused:

Also asked her about Marley's foot.......now i disagree with what she said and i think you lot will too! She said the bruising could take 3-4 weeks to disappear, fair enough i expected that, i said i was going to try some hoof boots to see if they make a difference and she said how she didn't like them and wouldn't recommend them for daily use or at all really! She didn't think they did anything and when she asked what i wanted to with him and i said eventually event she said i would definitely need shoes, i agree he will probably need shoes. I don't know an awful about equine podiatry (sp?) but i would think if i had and ep trimmer trim him then maybe he would be able to do some eventing without shoes. Would see how he went. She basically told me to put his shoes back on and then i would know in a few weeks if he was ok or if it was more than bruising. I don't want to put shoes on him if his feet are week or i'll never move forwards from where i am, putting more holes in his feet will make them weaker. Obviously i will if he really just can't take being barefoot but i think he will be ok, when he lost his hind racing plates he was not footy at all.

newrider.com