Sore after a trim.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Trimmer mentioned that he has an infection in one part of hoof wall due to a crack. She has plugged the small hole. His feet have been breaking away alot lately. Suggested clean traxing which I will do once the ground dries a little. As I walked him back out he was very sore on his fronts over the hard ground.

He's in tiny bald field tonight just in case but I can't feel any pulses and his feet don't feel unusually warm.

Any advice on improving his feet,possibly walking on hard ground? Any sprays you use as he has mild thrush due to all this wet weather. And just looking for any tips really. He's had more grass than usual this week due to trying to eat down a pathway to the front of his field so I might not give him any more and only soaked hay for a week see if there's an improvement

I've just been purple spraying and scrubbing with hibi on Storm, as she has a small cavity that our farrier has been treating - I don't know about other products. Ale looks such a sweetie (sorry, not much help :) )
At the risk of thread hi jacking - do you or anyone who reads this know of any poultice that can be used to draw things out other than the usual animalintex ? I was wondering if there were any herbal potions that I could use. As farrier suggested (there is no abscess atm) that as a preventative measure once a month it might help.

Reactions: MrA
A trim shouldnt make them sore unless too much has been taken off. So it sounds like there might be something already going on for sure. Hope it's nothing serious.
I've just been using my sheep foot dip (Golden Hoof) on my two. It's a hoof hardener and also treats infections and thrush.
I admit I'm not consistent with doing it. Although I think you can over do it and harden the feet too much to the point they dry out and crack. Considering Billy hasn't had his feet trimmed in 3 1/2 years. He had one abcess on his heel last winter. I'm really pleased with him.

A trim shouldnt make them sore unless too much has been taken off. So it sounds like there might be something already going on for sure. Hope it's nothing serious.
I've just been using my sheep foot dip (Golden Hoof) on my two. It's a hoof hardener and also treats infections and thrush.
I admit I'm not consistent with doing it. Although I think you can over do it and harden the feet too much to the point they dry out and crack. Considering Billy hasn't had his feet trimmed in 3 1/2 years. He had one abcess on his heel last winter. I'm really pleased with him.
He's broken a fair bit off with the crumbling/ cracking so may just be that?

I had some stuff for Ramsey last year - his feet cracked a lot in the dry summer. I'll try to remember to look for it when I go up tomorrow.

Milton (baby sterilizing fluid, buy in any supermarket or chemist) is an easy, cheap, soak or spray, dilute per the bottle and use however is easy for you, it will kill bugs in 15 minutes of contact and does harden feet up :) I tend to use it as a soak occasionally then just spray it on in between :)

Milton (baby sterilizing fluid, buy in any supermarket or chemist) is an easy, cheap, soak or spray, dilute per the bottle and use however is easy for you, it will kill bugs in 15 minutes of contact and does harden feet up :) I tend to use it as a soak occasionally then just spray it on in between :)
Thank-you, I use this every other day to spray his frogs which seem fine, it's just the white line so I'll start picking and spraying this daily with it.

His feet are cold this morning, no pulses. He seems happy w,t,c in his small paddock (charging round like a loon haha) and I've scrubbed with hibi just as a once off. I know it kills good things too put just as a one off. I'll pick and spray with Milton later especially the hole!

Reactions: Jessey
Clay products are also really good for holes, as you can give them a really good clean out then use the clay to prevent more dirt getting in :)

Clay products are also really good for holes, as you can give them a really good clean out then use the clay to prevent more dirt getting in :)
Thank-you, you have reminded me that I have some red horse hoof clay! The trimmer did plug the hole so hopefully that's still in, if not it when it does come out at least I can refill.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com