Some minor hacking issues - help?

MaisieMoo

Oct 19, 2007
Since C and I moved to the new yard in December we've been spoiled for choice when it comes to hacking - we have a 70 acre forest & reservoir on the door step, another similar sized forest less than a mile away and lots of qite country roads.

C is a really good horse to hack - he's generally interesting in seeing new things and although he does sometimes stop and snort or have a wee spook he's not silly with it (most of the time)

If I hack him with another horse he pretty much goes to sleep for the whole hack unless we're doing fast work.

If I take him on his own however he goes between being very forward and bouncy one day which is fine to being very slow, backing of the leg and constantly trying to turn for home the next day - he doesn't spin but if you put the reins into one hand or take your legs off etc chances are you'll end up facing towards home.

It is relatively easy to turn him and push him on but when all you want is a relaxing hack at the end of the buckle like I'd planned for today it can be very frustrating!

In order to address this today we ended up doing some trot work on the road with leg yields, flexing etc and that work s well as it keeps his brain busy but I wonder if there are any other options which will allow me to have a more relaxed hack i.e. no schooling but not be constantly kicking or tapping him on to make him go forward? He's not scared just a little apprehensive but I don't understand the inconsistency?

Sorry for the long post - any suggestions welcome!:)

Just wanted to say that is EXACTLY what happens with me and my girl too. Since we started solo hacking, somedays all fine and others, its like riding a snake with the handbrake on!!! and it doesnt seem to make a difference where we go or if we have been out the previous day.

I just wonder if it is a confidence thing, someday feeling good, somedays not so.

Gx

Just wanted to say that is EXACTLY what happens with me and my girl too. Since we started solo hacking, somedays all fine and others, its like riding a snake with the handbrake on!!! and it doesnt seem to make a difference where we go or if we have been out the previous day.

I just wonder if it is a confidence thing, someday feeling good, somedays not so.

Gx

Lol - good way to describe it - certainly not very relaxing!:D

Wow, i could have written that post about me and my horse! Exactly what happens with us too. I havent found the solution yet unfortunately but i look forward to following this post for others experience.

Rest assured you are not alone though! :D

He he no not relaxing at all but i take some good out of it...that we still go forwards even if it is a bit like we have had too much cider and are heading home at 4am!!!:D

When we started solo hacking, just getting one or two steps forward (as well as spins, bunny hops etc) was a great achievement so now we are out for a couple of hours, as long as it doesnt get worse i am thinking that if they are going forwards the confidence or whatever it is will get better.

It is bizarre tho, sometimes i am going 'woah hang on a minute, lets just take it easy' and others it like a battle every step....'we...are...going...this...way...' and if you take your eye off the ball for a sec as you say you will be heading home before you have realised!!!

Gx

How confident would you rate yourself Babybear?? I have this with Captain. I realised that it is my issue which Captain feeds off...:eek:

Do you have the option of asking someone else to take him out?? See what happens??

How confident would you rate yourself Babybear?? I have this with Captain. I realised that it is my issue which Captain feeds off...:eek:

Do you have the option of asking someone else to take him out?? See what happens??

I'm much more confident with him now - I'm don't get nervous when he's like this just frustrated as I know that the previous day he was fine on the same route and I don't like fighting him for things.

Will see if Y/O can take him down the road at the weekend although he sometimes get's a bit upset when other people ride him - he's a bit of a mummy's boy!:eek::p

newrider.com