Solo hacking and returning confidence :D - pics

Skippys Mum

Nov 25, 2007
Scotland
As some of you will know, I had a major confidence breakdown last year. I ended up on a lead rein being led up and down the lane. Over the last year I broke it down into tiny baby steps and bit by bit I started enjoying my riding again.

Solo hacking was still another matter. I would do it but it was a challenge and I was always happiest when we were back home and I was getting off rather than the actual hack itself.

Unfortunately, my friend is on holiday so no company this week. Normally I would have just left it but as we are going to do Jumpcross training on sunday I had to ride so....

off I went this morning at 8am to miss the tractors (silage time here) - and I had a ball. That is the first time we have solo hacked and just had fun. We walked most of the way but had a few trots and even a fairly fast canter.

To all of you out there who are still worrying about confidence, I am proof that it can come back - just give it time:D. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt chance it in wild weather or heavy traffic but bit by bit its coming.

Just the jumpcross now to panic about:eek:

Oh, and when I came back I jet washed him and discovered he loves the jet wash above his head so he is standing in the spray - so much for my head shy horse:confused::D

and the ear shot
DSC00162800x600.jpg

his pals enjoying the sunshine
DSC00159-Copy800x600.jpg

and his handsome photo again (I know its on the other thread but I love it:eek:)
IMG_6550800x600.jpg

and the glaiket face!
IMG_6549800x600.jpg

thanks for reading:D

You’re an inspiration missus.

Well done! Totally agree about breaking it down into sections.

Glad you enjoyed your hack with your handsome fella.

oh well done. i know you have had issues with confidence over the last few months as you and i have often run in a parellel. i am so so pleased for you. keep taking the tiny steps especially now the weather is good - i always think its somehow seems easier in the sunshine.
i am also very very impressed that even though you were hacking solo that you were brave enough to take your hands off the reins to take a picture!!! LOL :):)
xx

how did I miss this one. Well done, I love hearing what you do it fills me with confidence that there is hope for me.:rolleyes:
Great piccies, gorgeous boy, he has a lovely gently face. Keep it up and more pics:D

Well done you and Arnie!

You've made such an improvement, not only in your confidence but also bringing Arnie through his difficult stages!

Give yourself a huge gold star!:D

Now get bottling all that star quality up and send some to me missus!;):D

We went off out this morning at 7am to miss the heat - I thought it would be quiet but I forgot everyone uses the back road as a shortcut to Glasgow - and they had started roadworks:eek:. And we just toddled past everything:D.

We tried for a gallop but apparently steady cantering is as fast as it gets (he is my dream horse - I am so much happier when I'm kicking on:D)

I cannot believe how much I am enjoying myself with him. When I look back, its been a rocky road. To think that not long ago a good outing was 100 yards down the lane on a lead rope:eek:

My next big adventure is to go a new route with him alone!

I think you guys are great for each other, I loved it when I started solo hacking with Polo, and when we clearly were improving it felt great!

Thanks guys:D. I am just so chuffed with him - I am desperate to go and ride tonight again but its way too hot (for me let alone him) - roll on tomorrow!:D

Missed this thread as been ill and not logged in much recently.

Can't believe how far you have come :D Recovering physically atm but will try for a little solo hack next week after reading your post. Had done a couple of little solos but need to get back into it and this thread was just the inspirational kick I needed :D

Loved the ear shots!! :)

Just to say well done! I know how you feel as today, after just over a year of ownership, I did my first solo hack! Let's hope it's onwards and upwards!

I think thats great and absolutely relate to the first stage being that the best bit was getting off afterwards, having survived!
My horse is also a steady canterer!
I have cause to bless his calm way of dealing with things though, after a hack where we passed two massive road mending lorries, 15 men in fluorescent jackets all shouting at each other, a very noisy drill and a bloke who suddenly poked his arm out of the cab and nearly hit my boy on the nose - after this we visited a friend in the school playground at chucking out time and then passed a stone driller on the way home. Its so worth not having the fast gallops for a boy who takes it all in his stride.
I wish you the best of luck with your continued adventures.

newrider.com