silly question - how do you tell the difference between a local & county show?

Local levels I woudl say come under the following categories: -

* Chariety Shows
* Pony club shows
* moving up to shows with qualifiers for things like festival of Champions

County level shows usually have things like: -
* HOYS qualifiers
* Olympia qualifiers
* Qualifiers for major breed shows as well etc
usually accompanied by by big money wins!

Just chuckling at the 'big money' bit. Most we have won for first place in showing class at County show was £25, doesn't even pay for the fuel!:D

The type of classes give you a clue, smaller show will have much more general less specific classes like 'Mountain and Moorland' , Riding Club Pony/Horse or Best Rider. Larger ones will have lots of different specific classes and ask for things such as breeding and registered number and entries in advance so they can be checked with the relevent societies

Last edited:
it says 'XXX county show' on the schedule! each (or most of them) county of the country has a county show - so the NF show is the 'new forest and hampshire county show', there is a dorset county show in september, etc.

there are local shows and Local Shows - some are quite high powered, some are friendly and easygoing. qualifying classes usually mean a bigger affair, agricultural shows are normally quite fnacy too. novelty classes on the schedule, small jup,ing classes etc, usually mean a smaller and more low key thing.

it's confusing isn't it? my 'local' show actually hosts CHAPS, VHS, Working Hunter (blair finals) and NE showing champs qualifiers so can get quite serious! a lot of our agricultural shows are probably less competitive as they only hold NE champs qualifiers. I won the grand sum of zero pounds despite qualifying for the festival of champions final, which i wouldn't particularly class as low key. i was thrilled to qualify even though i couldn't go. i think i'd define a true local show as one having more fun classes, fewer qualifiers and being quite low key. we have a lovely local show that does thelwell look alikes, best mane and tail etc. which is more fun and far less stressful!

ok, see if you lot can help then;)

it's a show called the Five Parishes Show (held by a group of five small parishes funnily enough:p)

there's donations to two charities and you may have to show passports and insurance for entry.

doesn't say anything about it being local standard or county.

classes include all the usual plus championships for each section. theres also a marriages ridden pony qualifier. Most classes have been sponsored by local companies. championship class prizes are things like championship rosette's and £5-£10 feed vouchers from local feed stores etc. There's also clear round and jumping classes from lead rein jumping to 2ft 6 open, working hunter classes etc. There's also four driving classes and a driving championship awarded on points.

m&m is open to registered and part-bred.

There are three rings plus clear round ring

I think they charge a entry fee of a £5 if your not competing and to joe public as there's other things going on as well, stalls, local produce shows, displays etc.

Now see i thought/think it is a 'larger' in terms of size, local show level but a few of my fellow cronies are concerned it could be county level, I don't think it is but could be wrong hence asking:p

Entry fees are about a £5 per class....fairly average i'd have thought?

Last edited:
Either way i'm gonna make a ti* out of myself ;) doesn't really matter where or how :p and there will be plenty of people to record it :rolleyes::eek:

Any suggestions of dealing with tents and possible kite flying? Neither pony has seen much of either

:p I am :p i'm positive i'm gonna make a ti* out of myself ;):D i don't mind as I can laugh at myself but decided my showjumping is gonna be at risk after following verbal commands in dog training yet still managing to get lost :D:eek::D

newrider.com