Sidepull Bitless Bridle? or just adjust Dr Cooks?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Hi all,

i ride my mare in a Dr Cooks Bitless bridle, i decided to attach the reins directly to the nose band instead of the cross under straps - she went much better in it - does anyone know or use a good sidepull bitless type bridle i can try or should i just fully adjust the dr cooks to ride it in this way?!

thanks

great thanks - could you post some pics of it? i dont think i can change the headstall on mine....the only thing i can see about doing was undoing the cross under straps and putting a double ended leather buckled strap ???! where would i get one of those?!

take the noseband off your dr cooks, and buckle it to the straps on a normal headstall where the cheekpieces would normally attach to. Does that make sense? Then attach the reins directly to the rings...

Can set up tomorrow if you want and take pics if thats not clear? x

duh, i didnt think about that, and to think i actually managed to get a degree!! i can use her diamonte browband then! wahoo! will try that tomorrow!!

:D ;) ((psst you could be using any browband on dr cooks too...))

Enjoy, and let me know if pics are needed =]

I've got an easytrek crossunder bridle -my brain's not working at the mo, is there anyway I could try attaching a normal head piece to the nose band of an easytrek? i want to try just a normal bitless action, rather than the crossunder to see if he goes any better in it

do you have a photo ellie? I can't find one online atm, so can't work out how it's made up as to how to adapt it? x

Okay...You know how the noseband has a loop holding it to a 'cheekpiece' type piece which then attaches to the headstall? (think I have that right?)

Unbuckle the 'cheekpiece' buckle - the one that holds the noseband onto the headstall. Leave these straps on each side still attached to the noseband by the loops though. You should then have a noseband with a strap up each side attached by the loops, with a buckle on the end, yes?

Put those buckles on your normal headstall, on the strap that holds the cheekpieces for the bit usually - the strap with the holes in. That should have it set up okay as a sidepull - just attach your reins to the noseband rings directly.

Does that make sense? Hope it helps =]

okay...bit of a rubbish photo I'm afraid but this is one of my converted bridles.

Got a new headpiece, joined the noseband of the dr cooks style bridle to the cheek pieces of the headpiece and voila...new sidepull bridle.

Image035-1.jpg

ETA...more pics. Sorry they are a bit rubbish, they were all I could find but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Image034.jpg

Image033.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou Tiy - thats exactly what I was trying to describe for those with the equitrek bridle =] VERY helpful :D

newrider.com