Show season 2022

abbeybaner

Jun 16, 2021
I have a beautiful skewbald cob (cross we think) who I currently show as a traditional cob and do coloured classes too. Whilst we really enjoy it, she loves jumping, especially cross country. I just wondered the rules on who is a “working hunter” and who can enter such classes, as well as other classes that involve abit more than just a ridden show. She thrives in the show ring and I’d love to let her experience some variety of showing this season.

Also what is the difference in turn out between trad/coloured classes and working Hunter or similar classes, would I have to be plaited for those?

Thanks

Attachments

• CFC13985-894E-402E-AAD6-8C6E04464C33.jpeg
    CFC13985-894E-402E-AAD6-8C6E04464C33.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 9
Looking at her - and she's lovely - I'd say she's the wrong type for working hunter. Google some photos and you'll see they're a quite different shape. Alsp turnout wise you'd have to pick one or the other since as a hunter she'd need to be have her mane pulled and plaited, tail trimmed and feather off. Why not look at some jumping classes if you enjoy those? No reason she can't show as a traditional cob then go and do a jumping class.

The show world is tough on people who have horses whose talents cross classes. Your mare is absolutely gorgeous, and cobs can excel at all sorts of disciplines, but she looks to be a very traditional cob "type" - broad chested, strong and stocky, with a pretty head. Most of the non-traditional showing classes expect something finer, except for the show cob classes which are (a) huge and (b) really require the horse to be hogged and clipped, which I agree would be sacrilege with your girl.

If she were mine I would continue to show her as a traditional and fluff out her scanty feathers (I agree from your other post that they don't look as if they will ever be bell bottoms) with chalk or whatever else you can, and enter the jumping classes or arena eventing classes in the afternoon so that she can have a blast!

PS She might also enjoy Le Trec, if you can find events in your area. One of the traditional cobs in a field near me was the UK Le Trec champion for a couple of years!

@Jane&Ziggy I always wonder about the show cobs since unless it's a maxi cob class the height limit is 15.1 - they have to be some of the biggest 15.1s around! I wonder how many get a life height certificate before they're fully mature - the last measurement can be done at 7 and many cobs could still grow at that age - then add on a good layer of fat and suddenly you have a class of horses where a true 15.1 cob would look small.

Locally we have a couple of places who do working hunter shows. They are open to every type, sometimes split into ponies and horses and how you decide which class to do is simply the height of the jumps.

What about trying some hunter trials/cross country events?

@Jane&Ziggy I always wonder about the show cobs since unless it's a maxi cob class the height limit is 15.1 - they have to be some of the biggest 15.1s around! I wonder how many get a life height certificate before they're fully mature - the last measurement can be done at 7 and many cobs could still grow at that age - then add on a good layer of fat and suddenly you have a class of horses where a true 15.1 cob would look small.
Indeed. I saw a gorgeous full ID for sale a few months ago. He was 15.1 and had been bought to produce as a show cob, but was being sold on because the producer said he was a little small!

newrider.com