Show on 1st April and my ponies arn't ready!

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I'm wondering whether to scrap going or not.

The weeks have gone so fast! Harvey and Ellie were both a good weight, living mix of in and out but turnout every day for min of 10hrs rugged and being ridden 3-4 times a week schooling and hacking.

THEN

My little 3yr old son became very ill with his mcadd metabolic condition and we had to go to hospital in a emergency situation and he was on a glucose drip for 5days and in hospital for 6 days. We are back now and he is doing well but in that time I had to rely on friends with the horses so they were turned out and left in the rugs they had on and just fed hay. Ellie didn't get her Cushing supps as I had my key with me. The liveries really did help me out but both lost weight as the weather turned, Harvey stressed a bit without me and they didn't have bucket feeds or balancer.

Now they look a bit :( I pulled Harvey's mane before I went in but he still has a full winter coat but is moulting. He needs to be trimmed and plaited for his classes as showing him as a hunter pony. He needs a bit work as he has been out of work for a week too.

Ellie has lost weight and had outline of ribs showing. Also where her microchip was done there is still a shaved section and she still had a long winter coat too. She is chocolate coloured rather then grey too.

It's Only a few weeks till entries needs to be in too :/

I'd clip them out, then they'd be no hairy coat. Depends what level showing, if its county I'd probably wait, local give it a shot.

I'd clip them out, then they'd be no hairy coat. Depends what level showing, if its county I'd probably wait, local give it a shot.

But given the difficulties of keeping weight on two natives Im not sure the benefits of one show outweigh this?

It would depend on the show and the classes as to whether I went.

Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate! Hope things are back to normal now. Can't really be of much help advice wise - are the show fees expensive? If it is going to put you undet a lot of pressure I might be tempted to wait.

If you need a helping hand, I'm not far from you!

I wouldn't totally clip out at this time of year, just go for an all round tidy up. Trim up beards, round the feet, re-pull manes and tails etc.

I did think of clipping out but not sure if it would look a scruffy/ affect summer coat?

Harvey was full clipped in October not that you can tell really now!

Only a local show at local riding club but points gained will go into members prizes etc for end of year.

Classes are Harvey:
Ridden open hunter pony
Family horse/pony (possibly)
Riding club pony

And Ellie with my 9yr old son and his first show

Lead rein pony 9 yrs and under all entries get a rosette.

In hand pony any age any type
In hand veteran

To top my day off today have heard that my son who is 6 and has special needs has been suspended from school!

If you need a helping hand, I'm not far from you!

I wouldn't totally clip out at this time of year, just go for an all round tidy up. Trim up beards, round the feet, re-pull manes and tails etc.

Might take you up on that!

Would Ellie's microchip shaved but matter too much?

Harvey will need feathers off I think at the least and mane and tail resorted.

Might take you up on that!

Would Ellie's microchip shaved but matter too much?

Harvey will need feathers off I think at the least and mane and tail resorted.

Honestly wouldn't be a problem, just PM me if needed.

I also have some dinky cordless trimmers that are great for taking off feathers.

Not many ponies at club level will have shed coats by then. I certainly wouldn't be clipping just tidy up and clean as far as possible and have a good fun day out!

That's good to know! I don't normally show as early in the year as April but have changed riding clubs due to house move.

I think I might have to stop myself being such a perfectionist! And just enjoy this one!

Just go for it and enjoy the day! There is show on this weekend at poplar park too, looks like the show season is well on it's way.

Also if you need another hand then i'm available too!

Just go for it and enjoy the day, if you get points then every few help - you may just suprise yourself -its all on the day - I am sure you will not be the only one with ponies not in "show" condition - if it was an affiliated or County I would have say leave it - but as a local just go and enjoy it - sounds as if you could do with a bit of fun.

We don't normally have our first show until April, we have one on Sunday with the little man who despite being under the shedder for 20 minutes every morning is still moulting for Shetland! he will get a bath or clean down on Saturday depending on the temperatures , a rug on and hope for the best,
we have a choice of 2 venues, one a bit higher level than the other, if grandaughter is coming we will do the local and fun classes, if me then we will do the higher level - its just a run out really - he needs to get mindset and ring sharp again after the winter off , emma needs the experience and I need to get Fit:redface:- its the taking part that matters for this one, his next one is more important.

If you really need to tidy up without damaging the summer coat run clippers lightly in the direction of the coat, it removes fluffy patches without cutting into the coat, otherwise go for two baths and a ton of showsheen:bounce:

newrider.com