Show help

Ex-racer

May 24, 2007
Suffolk
Hi,
I have never done any showing before but want to show my youngster this year. She's a part bred arab and will be 1 next month. What shows/classes should I be looking to put her in? When do they start? Where do I find out about them? What will she have to do? And what will we both have to wear? This is her:

demi-1.jpg

Any other information or tips would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what I'm doing! :confused::eek:
Thanks

She's lovely. She'll obviously be eligable for inhand coloured classes, part bred arabs and classes for youngstock. How big is she expected to make? She wouldn't look out of place in hack/riding horse youngstock classes too if she's going to make over 14.2hh.

You find out about shows by asking around, picking up schedules at local tack shops, searching online (eg theridingdiary.co.uk) and Horse and Hound have 3 show editions at the beginning of the show season which you might want to look out for because they list loads of shows.

You should be in a tweed jacket with a shirt, coloured tie, hat (beagler/bushman's hat etc) trousers and boots you can run in, plus gloves and a cane. She should be in a leather inhand bridle (bitting not needed at this age) with leather lead. She will need to be able to walk, trot and stand up inhand. Go and watch a few shows (preferably inhand ones) before you take her so you know exactly what you'll be expected to do.

Definately youngstock, part bred arab and coloured classes.

She has lovely markings, and I agree with dannityla about the browband. Definately keep it plain so that the focus is on her markings.

I would go with brown tack. It tends to be preferred by judges and will go better with her colouring.

I would keep the bridle nice and fine. She is a fine horse so you dont want to cover up her features with big thick nosebands etc. Dainty horse - dainty tack.

And plait her up, leave the tail natural

It will be worth getting her as used to crowds, horseboxes and being around lots of other horses as much as possible. Most shows are quite hectic with a lot going on. The more used to it she is, the better she should be on the day, which will make your job a lot easier.

Practice getting her to stand still. If you can teach her to stand square at this stage it will stand you in good stead for the future.

Then you need to get used to leading her, from her left shoulder, firstly in walk, then in trot, making sure you perfect the art of turning right (easier said than done :))

Judges will take into account her age, and most youngsters are expected to get a bit hyped up at shows, but if you practice now, a well behaved youngster will impress the judges.

Perhaps a group of people at your stables could do a practice show. Start with 1 or 2 other horses, and all walk around your school in walk. Then line up in the middle and one by one, walk away, trot back and around the school, then halt and rejoin the line. When she is comfortable with this, you can add more horses to the equation to get a better feel for the show atmosphere.

I would tr and go to some winter shows and watch how people do it. Also, you could try sites like you tube which might have videos of people at shows. For what to wear, have a look at photos from major competions like HOYS etc on the internet.

Hope this helps x

Shes gorgeous. Sure you will do great!

Where the loops are you attach the clip thing that then clips on to the leadrope...its like a small thing with 2 clips and a ring for the leadrope to connect to...:)

i hate that, it slips around the noseband & looks daft. Invest in a filly slip - they sell on easy if you dont want it when she's older! ;)

Google Ascot filly slips as they are around £25 but come up a bit small so ask for measurements :D

hi i have pba to, is she reg with the arab horse society? if so u can do there regional shows, would deff not look out of place, and its split into 1 and 2 and 3 year olds so not up against the fully grown pbas, also deff coloured an poss sports horse, the south east arab spring show is in april, u can go to that very friendly:)

More questions....

What kind of lead rope do I need? Just a plain leather one or one with a bit of chain at the top?

Also what colour and length show cane will I need?

Last edited:
newrider.com