Shetland vs Bigger pony for lead rein with you child.

GingerDoodle

Apr 13, 2016
Hi all

I hope this is ok to post.

My daughter is 3.5 (4 in September) and since January has been rather in to going for little lead rein walks (all good) and has been brilliant.

A couple of weeks ago an acquaintance mentioned they had a shetland pony they wanted to share. Grand I thought cheaper than what we pay for 20 minutes at a time and will teach a little about horse care.

The first few times we went said daughter loved it. However she has the last two times been rather spooked and doesn't want to ride - the only reason is that she says its 'wobbly' but says she happy to go back on bigger ponies.

Im not sure if its her, the shetland, or the fact I'm lead reining her (rather than school staff with the bigger ones)

Any ideas?

My friends daughter is 6, first she sat on my neighbour's 15hh cob bareback and although scared for her first time loved it, then I popped her on 8hh Hank and she was all excited until he walked and she hated it, this past weekend I put her on Jess (15.1hh) and she loved it, didn't need mummy to hold her and sat up without holding on and is loving it again.
Personally I just started riding G who is a 14.2 welsh D, and compared to Jess he does feel tiny and a bit like a sewing machine, so I can understand what she's saying but with time she's likely to get used to it...hopefully

Last edited:
Perhaps the pony wears a bigger saddle which your child feels more secure on. The shetland may be in a cub saddle which wouldn't provide so much support.

Good point about the saddle, Most Shetlands have pads or cubs and they do not really put the child in a good position or help with a wide pony as there's no twist to the saddle. If she's been used to a treed saddle the feel of a pad or cub will make her feel more insecure on so many levels.

We use Pony Club Griffin Saddles on our shetlands which is just a synthetic tiny saddle. The Maxam is a cheaper version, just as good. Puts the child in a better position and give them a bit more security

Having looked up pictures the shetland is indeed wearing cub saddle (apologies I can ride but was never indulged as a child and am not especially 'horsey' - although eager to learn!)

Just for my education what is the difference between a cub and a regular saddle? Would it be worth investing in a regular one?

Reactions: orbvalley
With a treed saddle you get a "twist" in the seat which makes the pony easier to sit on, with cubs and felt pads the rider has the full width of the pony to get their legs round, the treed saddle too, gives more support and makes it easier for therider to sit in a more balanced position.

I wonder if the Shetland is wider to sit across &/or has a shorter rounder action & that makes her feel less secure?

good points made about the saddle. She is the same age as my little one and I breed shetlands... he has his own pony. Only thing i would say is that they are very, very young still. I make a concerted effort to never try to encourage him to actually ride. He can if he wants to but he has to ask and he has to realise it’s a privilege. Im worried if I try to keep him keen it just wont work, i want him to want it for himself if that makes sense? Then he will want it all the more?

Reactions: Ruskii
newrider.com