sharer saga continues....

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
So I have a potential sharer coming out on Sunday to see Rubic. I was emailing telling her about Rubic etc and just having a general chit-chat while sorting her coming up. I told her where the yard was and the best way to get it. I told her would be best to park her car... she replied saying she wasn't driving as her car had been off the road for a while, she was going to get public transport.

Our yard isn't in the nicest area. There are two ways to get to the yard via public transport and then walking. There is a mile long walk in one direction and then maybe 1/2mile walk from the other. Both involve walking along unlit roads where you sometimes get the local youths and trouble makers hanging about. If she is just coming up during the day then I don't suppose it is a problem, it is more of an issue in the dark and the bad weather really. The real problem is more that she is coming from the other side of the city! In a car it'd take about 20-25min on the motorway but on the bus it'll take closer to 2hours, maybe even more! I suppose it depends how dedicated she is whether it'll work. I was travelling for nearly 2 hours to a riding lesson every week so I know people will do it. I suppose I'm starting to doubt myself and wondering if I'm wasting my time. I just want sunday to hurry up so I will get a better idea whether this will work or not. I am also hoping that the weather is a bit warmer so we can use the school first rather than just taking her out a hack on her first ride!

I do have 2 other people who are interested, one stays close by and one is the friend of a girl in my barn so I'm assuming she is fairly close too. I'm just worried that by the time I find out whether this person is suitable or not the other two people may have found someone else!

Could you meet and assess the others as well??

Is that ok to do when I've already arranged for the first person to come up? I just felt that would be a bit mean to get her to come all the way out here and also have other people come up and then have to choose between them... that sounds a bit stupid reading that back really. I know it's my horse and I should be able to choose the person I think is best for her but I feel almost committed to giving this person a shot before I see other people!

Of course! When I was looking for a share I didn't always assume that the person would want me. It turned out that they did and I had to choose which horse was best for me, apparently good sharers are like gold dust!

Just let the girl know there are other people are interested and you will be meeting them also. When she has been up and tried her and you have assessed if you think it will work tell her to go away and have a think about if she likes Rubic or not and to let you know, and that you will let her know how you get on with the other people interested.

Also tell her your concerns about the car. It might be that she is getting her car back next week, in which case it wouldn't be an issue.

If I'm totally honest I doubt it will last. Had a similar sharer over the summer, I knew she wouldn't last until the winter, she was doing a journey from the other side of the city and didn't drive, sometimes hitched lifts with family but generally on the bus. Her enthusiasm stopped pretty quick tbh.

I would meet the others too, at the end of the day you want to find the right person.

I would definately see the other 2 and for transparency, tell them that you have 2 other "candidates" to see - treat it like you are interviewing for a job. It's unlikely that someone looking for a share will go to see just the one horse I'd have thought, so they will have a similar outlook - you want best fit for all parties, human and horse.

Maybe you could share your concerns about her lack of a car and explain the possible difficulties she could face on the journey? It might put her off but then again, you never know. As you say, some people would still do it. Personally I wouldn't, but that's probably because I've been driving so long and I've got lazy.

I would most definitely suggest seeing everyone and then make your decision, so long as you are honest with each person to avoid disappointment. After all you want the best person for the job. I would be asking the 1st person if they are going to be getting their car back on the road any time soon or whether they plan to rely on public transport. You may find, if it is the latter, doing the journey for real may put them off. I think I too would be concerned about how committed they will be

I wouldn't be put off by the coming by bus thing, I bus it everywhere and always have it took me 2-3 hours to get to red and I still done it 3 time a week :)

Takes me about an hour on bus to get to ours from springburn so I'm not exactly close either though I know that's different as its for my own :)

I don't drive and spend up to 2hours one way either walking, waiting for or on the bus.
Been at current yard now maybe 4 years, bank holidays i walk 6miles.
So yes it can last if you really want something-you find a way.

see them all as none of them may gel with you, the horse, or whatever so might as well see them all quickly as you may want to meet them again etc.

Echo the others, see them all! You're looking for the most suitable sharer, it's not first come first served.

I do think there's quite a high likelihood she'd be put off by the difficult journey and not last long - but it's not a dead cert. I got to my share horse 5 days a week via bus, bike and on foot for 2 whole years. As a non-driver I don't get put off by that sort of thing as it's normal for me to have complex journeys... I do think people who drive can get very lazy :tongue:

Well she didn't show up and didn't reply to my text or email. So that is a no go! I totally understand that things come up but to not even send a quick text to let me know is rude in my books.

I have someone coming up on Tuesday possibly, still to confirm that one as I'm taking the day off work as I have stuff being delivered to my flat and have no idea when it might arrive!

I also have 2 other people as back ups and have emailed one of them and will hopefully be able to see the other one at some point this week to speak to her and see if she is still interested.

I suppose I'm just getting a bit frustrated now. I sat about up at the yard for 2 hours after I'd mucked out and filled haynets for absolutely no reason just incase she was still coming. Luckily 2 of the other girls in the barn came up and we went for a mad yeehaa in the fields which helped let off some steam but I'm still quite annoyed!

See given where my yard is, I put down being a car driver is essential. It's one thing doing the journey by bus/car for your own animal but for a share then I think the enthusiasm wanes quickly.

Good luck with the other two.

well hopefully she didn't get mugged by the thugs on the way! LOL

just kidding. I think you are better off without that one. I don't think it would have lasted...
Better luck with the other two!

Well she didn't show up and didn't reply to my text or email. So that is a no go! I totally understand that things come up but to not even send a quick text to let me know is rude in my books.

Definitely rude, Rubic, and not the sort of person you want as a sharer. I hope the next one is better.

See given where my yard is, I put down being a car driver is essential. It's one thing doing the journey by bus/car for your own animal but for a share then I think the enthusiasm wanes quickly.

Good luck with the other two.

If people stayed near my yard then the walk isn't bad and there are two buses that go nearby. A car definitely makes things much easier but the walk isn't too bad as long as you are doing it in daylight. I wouldn't rule anyone who didn't have a car as long as they seemed reliable!

Well we hacked the route she would have walked today and there was nobody about so I doubt she was mugged on the walk up! I did text her at 9am to give her plenty of time since I'd said any time after 12 would be good for me. Oh well, another one bites the dust!

newrider.com