Shall we have a chat about climate change.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Goodness me I had a very depressing lecture yesterday introducing us to the topic.

So to start the ball rolling do you think climate change is an issue?

Expand as much or as little as you want!

@Ale I do think climate change is an issue. But in what capacity? Right now I'm not sure. It is something I do consider though. Can you give a brief outline on what your lecture covered?

Reactions: MrA and Huggy
I think it’s real but I don’t know if it’s just the earths cycles or if it’s man made however I think we should be minimising our effects on the planet, weather we are causing it or just accelerating it.
Until society/culture allows us to slow down that can be really challenging though, I try to be green where I can but I couldn’t give up my car for example and still work 2 jobs and the farm as I just wouldn’t be able to get from 1 thing to the next in time.

We discussed all the contributing factors towards it. How as much as individuals do, it makes very little difference and really change is needed in big corporations such as shell and bp etc.

But the general gist was that we have ruined this planet and I tend to agree. I'm not even sure if the damage would be reversible even if human population was stable rather than rapidly increasing.

Many countries have pledged to reduce their impact on climate change and on the map the only one that had been successfully was Ireland!

Things that are the norm are perhaps not at all sustainable, meat production for example, disposable plastics.

Or as @Jessey has said, is it just coincidence, the world has certainly been proved to fluctuate temperature before. This is even more scary actually, as we then have no control over it.

A global rise of just 2 degrees could apparently spell disaster for us. Like I said, not the most positive lecture

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I think lockdown proved that we do negatively impact nature, and that it can be reversed to some extent if not completely. Such vast differences were seen in just a few weeks.

Reactions: Trewsers
I'm pretty much a vegan and I don't believe farming is as much as in issue as it's made to be.

Will they to reply in more detail later ... it's become super hard to respond on my phone to this forum!

To my mind the earth autonates between the ice age and greenhouse stages.
We haven't been on the earth long enough to know the real impact yet. Good or bad.

We had the opportunity of restarting green with the lockdown, we didn't, we couldn't.
Before the car was invented we managed. But people used the trains, walked, had a pony and cart. They likely worked within five miles of home.
Unless the government was handing a pony to everyone you can't replace the car.
And horse and cart traffic would bring its own issues as London used to suffer with diseases from all the things that come out of a horse!

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
We are too impatient these days to go back to horse and cart.

After all people find tractors too slow and annoying. I had to go get straw last weekend. I had to go up a steep hill pulling the trailer. Some white van man overtakes me. Blasting on his horn as he goes by. Im looking round thinking has something fallen off the trailer. Then later on the way home bugger me if a car driver didnt blast his horn.
That is so incociderate and dangerous for me as im wondering if somethings happening behind with my load, so my eyes are taken off the road in front of me.

The number of people who overtake me whilst im driving the horse and carriage from behind straight into oncoming traffic is insane. One day i swear we will get taken out.

Im sure the cars are a factor, but im not convinced that electric cars are the answer. As we still have to make them.

Same as solar we still have to make the stuff and thats not green, it uses electric and causes pollution. Im not convinced when people say they are running there house off solar and putting back to the grid. Although i dont know enough about it to be fair. Does anyone actually have solar panels on there house.

There were more animals many years ago than there are now, as most people had back yard farms. So im not sure the animals as such are strickly to blame. Farming practices and changes may well be a factor.

It's such a huge subject isn't it. I'm enjoying reading everyone's views on this. I discussed it with Mr t during breakfast this morning and was quite surprised at his point of view.

I think going electric is moving the problem, not solving it.
The steam train used coal, we used coal, it created smog and that was considered unhealthy and not good for the environment. Then the car comes along and some now blame the fumes.

Whatever we do it impacts where we live. Using the field I have just moved to as an example. It now has a cob on it that produces poop. So I buy a plastic scooper to clear it up. The organic part can go on the roses, but the other needed to be made and shipped to the shop.

I do wonder though if we should go back to if the fruit is out of season we don't see it. That could mean less waste, less import. But where do the people go for work that rely on us buying it?
Change starts at the top and trickles down. So the big companies need to change.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
I agree that any sort of change would mean a huge overhaul to life as we know it. Not sure that would be such a bad thing really, we almost live too long now days. I hate saying that but I think overpopulation is a huge issue.

As for the cows not being an issue, I believe part of the problem here is the land and water usage to produce a cow (or other livestock) look it up if you are bored, it's quite staggering really. So if diets were ammended, we would have more land and water for trees. That's a very simple way of looking at what is obviously a huge complex issue obviously.

Really interesting hearing all your thoughts. We need to harness the power that the earth provides but it would mean a lot less power to go round. Even those methods are highly destructive too. Wind farms can be terrible for wildlife.

If we flicked a switch and got rid of farm animals, we wouldn't plant trees, some idiot would build on it!!

And that's another issue entirely. They are building on farm land around here, ( bangs head on the virtual wall) we have thousands of empty buildings dotted around the country that could be used first. For one reason or another people don't/ won't sell empty falling down property. So they choose a lovely spot with views that had sheep on it.

Our green spaces are going here too for building. The council have made there minds up for areas to be built on yet the local residents dont want it. They keep arguing on how many houses. So it gets reduced. Then the grant a field, then grant a field 3 fields over on the other side of the area, then the bit in the middle gets built on. Some of the new housing areas are former church land that is slowly being sold off.

Even about to build a new school about 3 miles away (which i get and is badly needed) but i think i going to be very badly situated. Traffic is already a nightmare and is going to be even worse once they build the school. Again there arguing about it. But the council have made there minds up that its going to be there. At present building hasnt started, yet they say its going to be opening for pupils September 2021. So you know it will be built rapidly once then commence.

They wouldn't build on it if overpopulation wasn't an issue. Apparently in the UK over 80% of people live on less than 6% of the total land available. The number one use of land is pasture by far I believe

They're ed a survey done that was up to date and yes the country is mainly pasture.
But arable farming land used to be protected. There are brown sites.
I suspect all new homes will be built with a drive and electric hook up.
The two fields here used to have horses on them, so where do we go. I wonder how long it will be before we rent a stable and no turnout! I cringed a bit because it's a stone throw from me that they have chosen.

Reactions: MrA
I suppose we will never know whether or not our behaviour as humans has been the major cause of the alteration of the climate or if it's evolution (can't think of the right word) and just the fact that the planet was always going to change and develop. I've no doubt that we do contribute because we are here and we all make a difference / impact. One of the things I always think though is if we had just all been born and sat here doing nothing and literally lived off leaves and berries and worn nothing but old sheep fleeces etc then would the planet not be dying? Well, I suppose it would - just slower. We've speeded things up haven't we? The fact we have used things that came from the earth to excess and all that..................................

Reactions: MrA
Did anyone else see extinction? Is anyone else as scared as I am that weve lost 50% of insects!!!

newrider.com