Setting small progressive goals, Does/Has anyone done this?

Returning_Rider

'L' Plates Required
Sep 13, 2009
N. Ireland
Hey Everyone :)

I have been pondering about some tof the things I'd like to do from taking lessons and being around horses in general and I've decided that instead of trying to aim for any goals that are simply too high too soon, I thought it would be best to set small goals for each lesson to work towards a bigger goal, but in a progressive manner so there isn't too much self expectancy from oneself and to enjoy progressing 1 step at a time :)

For Example:-

My last lesson I did rising trot and found that I was more aware of keeping the rhythm/timing right and my steering wasn't as clean cut as it used to be, which is natural for being out of the saddle for so long :)

And so, next lesson, I want to try and achieve keeping a better rhythm whilst being a little more balanced, and to possibly begin cantering again either in the next lesson or the following lesson :)

And then the following lesson, I'll try and work towards having good steering and balance in canter, and so on :)

The basic principle of this idea is to try and make the most of each lesson, by working to improve from the previous lesson, whilst still gradually working towards reaching the next step, but without trying to rush it, if that makes any sense? :)

Have any of you good people tried or done this before and if so, what are your thoughts? :)

well your right in not wanting to rush things but your not going to master one thing one week and move on to something else the next, your balance for example may take weeks and months of riding to perfect! I have been riding a year now, and am still working on transitions and 20m circles (have done jumping at another RS but my riding isnt good enough to be going there yet, so back to basics)
I tend to get my leg aids mixed up, so Im aiming to do the above mentioned things until i can do them confidently, while also learning other things like leg yielding etc etc
Once Im happy with that, then move on to cantering the 20m circles, but it doesnt happen from one lesson to another if you understand:rolleyes:

Yes, that's why I was thinking that it would be worth while trying to learn and apply what I've learned as best I can to each lesson, after all, when I last attended lessons previously, I was into my 4th lesson before I started to canter, but in the following lesson I was able to canter to an ok standard and have fairly decent steering :)

I suspect this may have been because I was attending weekly lessons in that time and so, I was learning faster and able to remember more of what I was learning from the previous lesson, whereas with now only being able to attend monthly private lessons, it will obviously take longer to learn and apply what is being taught :)

I do the same, and I think this is a great way to go about making progress. You won't achieve each thing in the timescales that you initially think - sometimes my timescales are off by a thousand times ! but that's fine - simply the act of thinking and planning will make you so much more aware of where you are on the journey. Good for you.

you must be progressing far better than me, if I do something one week, the next week Im equally rubbish at it:rolleyes: It all depends too on what horse Im riding, one week I can canter lovley 20m circles, next week at a different RS I cant even get the horse to canter at all:eek:

I know that exact same problem all too well because I'm convinced that I was put onto a much less forward going horse by the instructor, (Which I can understand with it being the 1st lesson with her, etc) but I do remember how to canter and to steer, etc, and I feel it's merely a case of putting it into practice again :)

Like you say, it definitely depends on the horse as well as the rider :)

My whole horsey life seems to be one baby step after another:). I had my original plan of what I wanted to achieve with Arnie but he has had lots of problems so the whole plan had to be scrapped.

I then changed the whole thing and took little baby steps here and there with him and altered my aims to suit what he was capable of.

Funnily enough, we are now back more or less on the original plan - we just needed a slightly longer, and trickier, route to get to it:D

At the beginning of each lesson i always talk to myself with determination, regarding doing something better than i did previously - but some weeks my steering is ok and others it is terrible! Some weeks my transitions are ok and others they are terrible! You get the idea!
So i dont really have goals so to speak..just take each lesson as it comes!
There are so many variables i find i just get a bit down when it doesnt go to plan!
My only goals for each lesson, therefore, are to stay on and to sweat a little less than the lesson before!

My only goals for each lesson, therefore, are to stay on and to sweat a little less than the lesson before!

sounds like me :D
I have heatkh problems, and my RI is always asking, are you ok?
I dread to imagine what i must look like for her to ask:rolleyes:

newrider.com