second hand saddles. good or bad

TALSMUM

Nov 28, 2006
south wales
recently bought a new horse but she came with no tack. have had a few saddles tried on her but they havent fitted right. a few people are telling me to get a secondhand one as they will be more supple and fit her better. that cant be right can it. it would be like sharing shoes. just cos they are a size five doesnt mean they will be comfy on everyone. am i right or wrong:eek:

you are right!

Best to just get a saddle fitter out and be done with it - they may have a new or a used saddle already in thier posession that fits your horse or may have one they can alter to fit correctly.

Trust me this is a FAR better option then ridding in a poorly fitted saddle, or playing Saddle roulette buying ones that don't fit and having to echange a different one. The amount of STRESS a saddler will save you is WELL worth what they charge

I wouldn't discount second hand saddles, so long as you have them fitted and reflocked as required. I sold 2 of my saddles last year, both 2 years old, excellent condition to a lady who then had them reflocked for her horses. brand new these saddles cost over £500 each, she got them for £750 the pair.

but, again, be it a new or second hand saddle, get it fitted by a good saddler :)

thanks shadowlark. been looking for a saddle fitter but they are miles away. will have to ask at the riding school to see if they know of one.:)

I don't think second hand saddles are any better than new saddles. If you find a good match you may save yourself some money, but you wouldn't buy a second hand saddle because it's more 'comfy'.
Since the flocking would have packed down to the shape of the original owner you would have to have it reflocked anyway. And if you buy a quality saddle then the leather should mold just fine on a new one as well.
I have bought a used saddle before with good results but the reason I bought used was that I couldn't afford that type of saddle new. The person I had bought it from was very well off and already had upgraded to the 'next step up' and the saddle I bought had just been reflocked and checked over.

Last edited:
I bought a second hand leather saddle for my horse. It cost £125 plus £40 for reflocking. It was fitted by a saddle fitter and I have been really pleased with it.

As long as the saddle fits (and fits well) it doesn't matter how old it is.

You wouldn't believe how old the saddle is out in my hallway - infact will take some photos later. Unfortunately, doesn't fit my horse.

Given the choice between a lower quality new saddle or a well known branded (and in good nick) second hand saddle, both fitting equally well, I'd go for the second hand.

I have to agree, if I had the choice between a higher quality second hand leather saddle and a brand new synthetic saddle, if they both fitted equally well I would choose the second hand one just because being a more expensive/better saddle in the first place the chances are it has a better tree and is generally better made than the cheaper new one and will probably last as well if not better :D

I agree, as long as you get it checked and fitted, second-hand can mean better quality if you're on a budget.

newrider.com