Schooling (pics)

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Dom is off work at the mo so I asked him to come with me for Gracie's first time in the new school and he kindly brought his camera.

I lunged her first - and I'm glad I did because there were a few "high jinks" shall we say! But when I got on her she was a poppet. She's really coming on in the school now and working correctly more than she's not. It's easy to pick the best pics to show off with, but I'll also post a few duds to illustrate how Gracie has progressed.

The good....

untitled-86-800x533.jpg

untitled-49-800x522.jpg

untitled-59-800x533.jpg

She's not balanced enough to attempt self-carriage in canter yet, but I love my smile in this one..... there was a time when I wouldn't canter her in the school for fear of bucking (bad saddles).

untitled-71-800x533.jpg

And to illustrate the bad. This is Gracie's default trot, given half the chance, if I just "passenger" and don't ride her. You can see how loose my reins are, so I'm not hauling on her mouth. She's clearly not comfortable either when she hollows. It's a bad habit.

untitled-82-800x533.jpg

And she'll also over-bend when she tries to find her contact...

untitled-55-800x533.jpg

I should also add that I'm very much learning too. After years and years of happy hacking, it's hard for this grandmother to learn new skills. But I'm persevering and it's paying off!!

Last edited:
newrider.com