Scabs??

Gracie

Pony Lover
Jan 27, 2001
Canada!
simply_sweet_gifts.tripod.com
Ok here goes my problem!!!
My horse has a fair sized scab that to me seems to be healing! It looks flat and seems to be healing well in my opinion! My friend says that you should peel the scab off everyday and put discinfectint and than when the scab comes again continue to do this... That to me makes no sense, if it's healing shouldn't you let it heal? Can some one please explain if she's right? If not is it anything to worry about? Thanks again!

Smallish wounds are best left alone. I usually use some disinfectant as long as they are open and when they start healing over I just leave the scabs till they come off.
Only when they are not healing properly and become inflamed I use antiseptic cream.

If it's small, not infected and not causing lameness leave it alone! It will most likely heal without hassle. Picking it isn't a good idea, you'll remove the cells that have formed the night before!

Thanks wally!

Thats what I thought... How could the cut ever heal if you always picked at it? I will leave it be, just my friend was making me so nervous that it could end up worse! But now I feel a lot better!! Thanks again!

how many tiems has your mum told you not to pick at scabs if you cut yourself? i know as a child and i had hurt myself and it was all scabby my mum was contiouslly telling me to leave it alone because if you pull it off you may eveal the wound again and it'll be sore and then it will take longer to heal and you risk being more scarred for life than you would if you just left it alone to ehal on its own!

Plus....

If you pick a scab, you're more likley to scar in that area. Scar's are not nice! Especially on horses!

Maci :)

PS- Good luck with your show!

newrider.com