Sarcoids

~*sugarlump*~

rather be riding...
May 22, 2005
I know this sounds abit random but can anybody tell me anything and everything about sarcoids?

what they are, how they're formed, how to get rid of them.

also am very eager to hear everyone's experiences with them.

thanks in avance for any help anyone can give me :)

SL x

This is a very wide subject - many of the NR family have had experience of them including ourselves on our donkeys. there are many different types, many different types of treatment so perhaps you should go to the website set up especially for people to gain knowledge about sarcoids. It is simply called www.sarcoids.co.uk or just google sarcoids in horses and up it comes.

Joy has one. I noticed it in spring last and completely freaked. :eek:

It is a varacoid one about the size of my thumb nail.

I took some pics and the vet sent them up to Liverpool for the Liverpool cream. This didn't work and the sarcoid stayed as it was.

So As it was them coming into summer I spoke to me vet as I didn't want Joy to go into fly season with a wound. We decided between us to leave it alone and monitor it.

The thing hasn't changed except if anything to get a touch smaller but as you can imagine I am keeping a very close eye on it but am more relaxed about it now.

It doesn't bother her and it hasn't changed so I see no point in putting her through any discomfort. If course if it did change then I would once again freak out and my attitude would change.

This is a link to the most hepful info I found when Joy first got one.

http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/sarcoid/facts.htm

Merry developed one on his chest that was very sore for him. It was about the size of a large bean and protruding from the sking. It developed a large scab over the top that would get pussy, so i would keep peeling it off and treating the infection (not the sarcoid itself). It would keep occuring and then right where his rugs went and it obviously bothered him. I saw the vet but she wasn't sure about it. I didn't want to use creams on it. It did however have a slight 'neck' so i simply got a rubbe band and tied it off. So far it seems to have died and he is far more comfortale for it. Its early days and probably not a suggested method of treatment at home but i know you can tie them off with lamb rings and its so far (touch wood) has worked.

Adams was on his sheath, it caused him no discomfort, but eventually it fell off, after around 4 months. It was the size of a pea. The area was then treated with Liverpool Cream on the advice of my vet. It cost me about £300 for 4 treatments.

The only thing the vet could guarentee me is that they are in no pain with them, unless of course they are in an area where tack will cause irritation. Even with the treatment they can't guarentee that it won't return, some horses are just prone to them and they don't really know why.

I don't think I would buy a horse that I knew had a sarcoid.

newrider.com