Sarcoid? Or something else?

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
My new horse (owned since July) has a couple of sarcoids on his sheath, about half a dozen of various sizes. Now the vet who vetted him pre-purchase said they were sarcoids, which the owner confirmed; he had them when she bought him and had not changed in size over the year she had owned him. The horse ticked all the right boxes for me so I bought him.

Now, I've done a bit of research on sarcoids because I had always thought of them as warty things (this is how I have seen them) but Alf's are just lumps under his skin. I cannot find anything anywhere about this type of sarcoid so I'm wondering if they could be something else? They vary in size from about 0.5cm to 2cm and are perfectly round lumps, like peas under the skin.
My vet looked at them when she came to give him his booster and said that if they didn't bother him just to leave them alone, but it was more of a passing look over them - I just asked her while she was here and she looked at them and felt them and said just leave them alone and keep an eye on them.
Has anyone got experience of this type of sarcoids? Or any idea what it could be? They're sort of like melanomas (I also have a grey so quite used to these!) but I don't know! Will ask the vet properly next time they are out, but just wondering??

cant really help much but i seem to remember that there are a few different types that are all quite different? not all of them warty looking?

I shall google again to remind me!!

ETA is it a nodular sarcoid?

Last edited:
newrider.com