Salt

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I usually hang the pink rock one, but decided to get her the black for a change. It can be hung where she comes in.

I don't add salt to her feed, because she's not getting a feed.
She's on a tiny handful of chop for the vit and min and I think if I added salt she would just walk off.

Do you feed it and what?

Yes just table salt added to the sugar beet.
Years ago i brought a yellow rockie for chunky but he never touched it so it just dissolved onto the floor. Never bothered with salt until i got billy.
I was given a Himalayan salt lick only billy licked it but i noticed that just dripped on the floor mainly so in the end i put some water in a bucket each day and dissolved it slowly and added that water to the sugar beet.
I only use the salt now because they say it stops sweating. Chunky was always sweaty in work but i cant say giving him the salt made any difference. I never noticed a reduction.
If i add to much salt to his food he will leave the food.

I put a big Himalayan one loose on the paddock, but the only one I've ever seen licking it is the Shetland. In the summer I add electrolytes to Luka's feed, he's a picky eater and will turn his nose up if I add much salt to his small feed but happily licks the bucket clean if I add Applelyte.

I feed it. Couple of tablespoons I believe it is into a large handful of hifi with other supplements. He's never walked away from a feed yet

I feed salt with their balancer, plus they have a rock salt block in the field which still gets used even though they get salt in their feed.
Salt doesn’t stop sweating but does replace what’s lost in sweat.
Jess and Dan won’t tolerate much salt in their feed, Hank and Niko are happy to have a good dose in theirs.

I don’t feed it. Robin will not eat even a tiny amount. He also won’t eat even a tiny amount of electrolytes. When he was eventing I used the syringe stuff but that is hugely expensive so only gave it after a competition. He also ignored salt licks. I tried in his stable, in his field and nothing. So I don’t bother now!

I feed white cow salt. White because it’s better for metabolic horses and very easy keepers.

I will add bit of white human sea salt in someones feed pan if I think they aren’t drinking enough water. Part of why I bring my horses in at night is to monitor their habits🤠🤠

I will see her response is to the black one, it's meant to have herbs in it.
What's left of her pink one is in her bucket. But she's started to show no interest in it, so it might be something she wants come autumn/winter

Yes I feed salt. No where near the amount advised some places but if it’s warm I do add to chaff. I can’t say how much exactly but know roughly how much each of mine will accept and still eat. Only Torro really bothers with the salt licks so I figure if I can get a bit into them it’s better than nothing!

I put it in water rather than feed it and I regularly use electrolytes too.

Someone once told me that if a horse licks something with the underside of their tongue it means a different thing. But I can't remember what it was!

Someone once told me that if a horse licks something with the underside of their tongue it means a different thing. But I can't remember what it was!

Interesting. If Little Un found something he liked he'd lick away with the top of his tongue then lick with the underside on the way back - I'd assumed he was just being very energy efficient and not wasting the back stroke!

I have rock salt - god alone knows why but I was told those salt blocks are the scrapings off the floor with ash.

Daughter (Phd Vet Science) said salt in blocks is not good as horses dont regulate what they need - though Google says they do!

Apparently you are meant to add what you want them to have in their food. I don't do this as I don't feed. So I have Himalayan blocks of various qualities and expense which fall to bits at speeds of whatever I spent.

I am absolutely none the wiser on this.

I just did a quick Google and the house has 25000 taste receptors on the roof of the mouth and back of the tongue, in comparison to our 8000.
We eat more crap than them!!

newrider.com