saddle suggestions for large shoulder cobby type!

dunrobin_topper

dunrobin_topper
Aug 27, 2007
Sunny Dunny
Hi guys havent been on here for a while now as all things were going super until about a month ago!

Having a major dilemma with my saddle at the moment. Topper seems to have piled on the pounds even though he gets exercised nearly every day. The weather hasnt helped matters and the grass was just too much for the wee man.

Anyways my previous saddle was just not sitting right. It pinched his shoulders so i got the 'experts' out who advised me to alter my wintec saddle by placing a WIDE gullet in. My saddle was still pinching at his shoulders and looked as if it was tilting back (although it didnt move around too much).

After a second look i was advised that everything was a ok. Well my gut feeling is its not! He just isnt happy and shies around the arena and throws in several bucks in canter! This just isnt like him at all!

After the advice of a trusted friend i tried out the isabella werth wintec dressage saddle. It has alot more shoulder room for him and in a med.wide gullet there is less pressure around his shoulders. Everything looks fine until i lunged him and then the saddle cantle seems to bounce! Arghhhh! I think its too long for him and im considering getting a smaller seat (im not very tall or heavy) would this help matters? It was a 17'' (which is too big in my opinion!)

Im now considering a 16.5'' VSD wintec saddle but i know i really need a saddle without much curve in the tree as he clearly has a dippy back!! HELP PLEASE??
Sorry for the very long ramble but im getting fed up and so is he!

Jac and Tops

a thorowgood cob gp really suited my flat backed highland x, well until she lost a lot of weight and it no longer fitted her, i don't like wintecs at all, they don't seem to fit a very big number of horses. If you're concerned about it restricting his shoulder, thorowgood do a dressage cob saddle too!

I would highly recommend trying a treeless, they don't restrict their shoulders at all, and fit a wide variety of horses, not all horses though, doesn't move at all on my flat backed cob who is an xxw in a treed saddle! with the thorowgood it did slide a little :)

did the isabella saddle come past his last rib? And what dress size and height are you? this will affect what seat size will suit you best, but generally a 17" is an adult saddle

my big broad-shouldered cob goes happily in a fhoenix dressage -- BUT it took me a while to get it laterally stable enough for me

could be cos i am bigger and heavier --who knows

with an elasticated hunter type breastplate/martingale
and a nice wide elasticated dressage girth -- i'm sorted

i wouldn't have persevered with it but the horse REALLY seems to like the saddle -- so i did keep on with it -- i'm glad i did cos it's supremely comfortable

(my son also thinks its the most comfy saddle he's ever sat on -- i'm short and fat -he's super tall and skinny -- and both of us like the saddle)

Another vote for thorowgood. I got a T4 cob GP for mine, had a griffin cob GP by thorowgood before, but the T4 is vastly superior in fit, its cut very straight under the saddle flaps and gave my horse alot more freedom in his shoulder, and its adjustable width too.

even the wide gullet on the wintec isn't actually very wide. I'd be very suprised if he's a cobby type that ANY of the wintec gullets on the normal scale (i.e. not the special 'wide' gullets for the wintec wide) fit him at all. Where is the saddle sitting if you say it's too long? draw a curve up the last rib, ideally it shouldn't be sitting behind that. I too would be looking to thorowgoods, both my cobs have thorowgood cob saddles. In leather, a GFS haflinger or the Ideal H&C would be worth a try. get a good, reputable saddle fitter out and see what they can offer you :)

If you've had fitting issues with 2 different Wintecs, maybe its time to see if a different make suits your boy better?

It sounds like his shape would suit a VSD, hunter cut or treeless saddle, but the best way to find out is get a fitter who can come out with lots of different makes and shapes for you to try. It could also be worth getting a physio/back person out to see why his back is dippy and see if they have any recommendations?
(how about Poohsmate?)

I would echo the recommendations of the thorowgood cob, wintecs only really fit withery banana back Tbs! well a bit harsh but def no good for flat coblets. My Haflinger is complete table top, no withers and the Thorowgood is fab. She has XW but they also do XXW, best to go wider than you need then narrow using fish. The 4th breeching girth strap really helps it stay in place and not slip even on the roly polys (even ones that blow themselves out and save all their poop for once you start the ride then expel everything :-O)

I also have a Treefree Exmoor saddle which also works great.

The only leather saddle she was ever fitted for (but budget didnt stretch to!) was an Ideal H&C (highland and cob) which fitted her beautifully and was a lovely saddle, so if you were splurging that would be worth a look.

thanks!

Thanks guys for the suggestions! Its a total minefield! Im 5'4 and 8stone so a 16.5 saddle is fine for me for a 17 has a little bit more room than i need.
We checked and the saddle (isabella) doesnt go passed his last rib but the bouncing around it was doing in trot and canter puzzled me. Out of curiousity im going to put the WIDE gullet in tonight and see what happens.

The dippy back:
I have had a physio out and she said its just his conformation, he does have a slight weakness in his lower back but nothing serious that i cant ride him just not to do too much jumping (which im not into anyways). He really does have a strange shape which is more pronounced now he has piled on the pounds. Low withers, dip and short back! Arghhhh!

Im going to head to my local saddlers and see if they have the VSD wintec just to have a look, he really does need a staighter cut saddle to free up his shoulder area.

Thanks guys again!

I have a big shoulder h/w coblet and he has a Saddle company Working Hunter saddle ,its gorgeous and fits a treat,its adjustable as he grows too.;)

Good luck with your search.

I have a big shoulder h/w coblet and he has a Saddle company Working Hunter saddle ,its gorgeous and fits a treat,its adjustable as he grows too.;)

Good luck with your search.

Damn you beat me too it - I was just about to post the same thing!:D:D:D

Hi, just got a few points to add!

If it's lifting at the back of the saddle (the isabella I mean) it's possibly because it's tilting down at the front. This happened with my saddle despite my having only had it 3 months, brand new, and it turned out to be nothing more than the flocking has flattened, and needed refilling. If it goes flat in front, it tips the back of the saddle up and causes bouncing when either no rider in saddle, or during work when weight is not in saddle (ie cantering standing, or rising trot), so despite being the correct wither width this could be worth checking out? If it's the case, nothing to worry about, will jus need reflocking to match his shape...

A note on VSD's - I notice you said you didn't do much jumping so might not be relevant but anyway =] - friend had a vsd and did jump a lot, and found that for her horse, it didn't give him the clearance or something needed although it seemed fine when checked by her and saddler both still, with rider in seat, and working on flat. I know not everyone has this problem with VSD's but def worth bearing in mind
Hope some of that might be of use =] good luck!!

newrider.com