Saddle length check - too long?

Myfellpony

Mar 15, 2015
What do you think of the length of these saddles on Rosie? The first is a 16 inch treeless that she is currently ridden in, the second is Mylos saddle which is 17 inch.015410F4-DF31-45E7-91AF-3F1D95B4D2E6.jpeg29E9AB47-1E2B-4443-91DA-FFF267AEC4D4.jpeg

Don’t measure with his head up. Have his head as you would like it if he was on the bridle or long and low. The back stretches so the last rib isn’t as short when they like this so you get a better measurement of saddle length.

I used to measure as you are doing however I recently discovered this is wrong

Reactions: carthorse
That's interesting @MrC . I've heard several saddlers say that slightly too long if the shape of the tree is right andthe rider isn't sitting on or near the back - it was something we had to compromise on with Little Un because the trees of shorter saddles seemed to curve in the wrong place for him (even ones for flat backs had some curve) and that was felt to be much more significant.

To me the treeless looks to be very high off his back and I'd wonder how that would affect stability and feel. I know nothing about treeless though!

Reactions: MrC
I thought that although the 17" looked a bit long, the high cantle might well mean that the rider sat well inside it which would put them in a ok position. But I'm no saddler and would need to see it girthed up anyway.

Reactions: carthorse
I think that if you ask 10 people their opinions on saddle fit, you will get 10 different answers. The only person I take advice from regarding saddles is my trusted saddle fitter. Some things need expert advice and I think that saddle fit is one of them.

I think that if you ask 10 people their opinions on saddle fit, you will get 10 different answers. The only person I take advice from regarding saddles is my trusted saddle fitter. Some things need expert advice and I think that saddle fit is one of them.

Saddle fitter and horse. Luka isn't the only horse I've known, though they are few, who's disliked a well fitted saddle but is happy in one that even I can see isn't ideal. I think we have to allow them a large say in what is and isn't ok.

Saddle fitter and horse. Luka isn't the only horse I've known, though they are few, who's disliked a well fitted saddle but is happy in one that even I can see isn't ideal. I think we have to allow them a large say in what is and isn't ok.
Very much agree. Mintos saddle fitted robin and was checked 2 or 3 times by fitter. It wasn’t until I bought him a new one did I realise he didn’t like the saddle and his reaction to new one showed it.

I think the treeless looks like it’s placed too far forwards on the shoulder and It’s difficult to judge length without being hands on to find the last rib, often you can see where the hair flows downwards on the flank and that 9/10 is where the last rib is, but hard to even see that on a grey 😊

I am going to contact a saddle fitter once all these Bank Holidays are out of the way. I just wanted to Give her an idea of what size saddle I am looking for. I think we would probably be better off with a 16” which is a shame because there are fewer of those about.
The treeless saddle is bulky. It is made of memory foam so once warmed up, you sink into it. In the picture it is cold and rock hard so looks even worse. It possibly is slightly too far forward in the picture.

newrider.com