Saddle fitter out today and Piccolo gets her first 'big girl's' saddle PICS

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Today I had the saddler out just to check Harvey's saddle and to get Piccolo her first proper saddle.

I had a few maxam's off of ebay so the saddler checked them for me and one of them is fine for Piccolo so will keep that as a messing around in saddle!

Harvey's saddle fits fine, so saved some pennies there!

So Piccolo's first big girl's saddle - I wanted brown and a good fit which can change as she does. I also wanted something suitable for anything and everything including showing. Piccolo is a shade under 12hh, dartmoor and round in shape with no withers.

Piccolo has been ridden in a bareback pad recently so also wanted a saddle that could offer security to her riders too.

So we got......An Ideal Classic 15 1/2" in brown :biggrin::dance:

So here are the pics - it isn't girthed up as i had to borrow a girth from the saddler as she has outgrown her old one but i took these pics after the saddler had left. Will get her a new girth asap! The saddle cost £400 which i thought was ok bearing in mind it's a secondhand leather saddle. The gullet/width can be adjusted by the saddler if needed as well.

013.jpg

will put more pics on later as photobucket is playing up

lovely saddle but it does look far to long for your pony. id be worried about that to be honest.

it doesn't go past her last rib, although she is deceptive as has a lot of winter coat still. This photo might show a bit better

011.jpg

She is a bit fat at the moment, plus is going through a ugly duckling stage so hopefully she will grow out of that soon as she is only rising 4.

other pics - love the way the saddle fits her shoulder

012.jpg

and one of Harvey, just because :)

018.jpg

Last edited:
I know this saddle. :) They look deceptively long, but are generally really good for small ponies. Happy new saddle. :)

Oooh! Are they your diddy leathers?? :)

You know it in a good or a bad way? lol :giggle:

I think it looks longer then it is because the part in contact with the horse (the panel?) doesn't come back as far as the seat appears to be in pictures?

I love the fact it's leather, adjustable, and is a 'proper little pony saddle'! It's also nice that because the way the seat is if need be (when cough half a stone is gone off me) i could get on if she needed some schooling/correcting and my bum would still fit.

Yes, they are the 'diddy leathers'. Arn't they great!! Actually i'll have to confess the littlest rider still has a twist in these but they are the only twist and it's so much nicer to have leathers that fit (mostly!)

Here's a couple of pics from our last show a few weeks ago - KV leathers & KV bridle :)

http://archive.sportinpictures.co.uk/image/I0000hf9DwUfaLqk

http://archive.sportinpictures.co.uk/image/I0000itqlSXh6lIo

You know it in a good or a bad way? lol :giggle:

Good!

I think it looks longer then it is because the part in contact with the horse (the panel?) doesn't come back as far as the seat appears to be in pictures?

EXACTLY what I was trying to say, and failed!

I love the fact it's leather, adjustable, and is a 'proper little pony saddle'! It's also nice that because the way the seat is if need be (when cough half a stone is gone off me) i could get on if she needed some schooling/correcting and my bum would still fit.

Yes, they are the 'diddy leathers'. Arn't they great!! Actually i'll have to confess the littlest rider still has a twist in these but they are the only twist and it's so much nicer to have leathers that fit (mostly!)

NO WAY! The shortest hole is TINY! :giggle:

Here's a couple of pics from our last show a few weeks ago - KV leathers & KV bridle :)

http://archive.sportinpictures.co.uk/image/I0000hf9DwUfaLqk

http://archive.sportinpictures.co.uk/image/I0000itqlSXh6lIo

Will check them out later when the internet is better. ;)

Will check them out later when the internet is better. ;)

ok, our internet is naff at the moment too, taking forever to do anything!

Here is a pic of the 'littlest' rider, haven't got any of him trying out your leathers but this gives an idea just how diddy those little legs are!
044.jpg

Did you get my chq for Piccolo's bridle btw? How's her bridle coming along?

Last edited:
oooh doesnt she look smart with her posh new saddle :D

thanks :biggrin: She is trying to look as scruffy and unkempt as possible at the moment as she has heard that might get you out of work (kisses are her strong point more then working atm!) but am pleased her saddle smartens her up a little bit :)

Means i can get her out and about long reining more as well (she has a roller but is slips a bit)

Wehave the same problem LF!!! We have a set of 3ft leathers and she has two twists and still has to put feet though leathers hehe
She looks tres cute :)

Wehave the same problem LF!!! We have a set of 3ft leathers and she has two twists and still has to put feet though leathers hehe
She looks tres cute :)

You need to get KV to make you some :wink: I gave KV the measurements for the stirrup leathers but must have mis-judged for the smallest person (aged 2), still he'll just have to grow a inch. They fit the other two small people (aged 4 and 5) really well though with no twists. I really hated changing leathers for each child and changing twists each time etc

These pictures are so cute. It makes me want my 4 year old to ride, but at the moment he doesn't want to. He likes being round horses and grooming them, but has no desire to actually get on one.

The things i can think of from reading the posts.

What's an ugly duckling phase, have i got this stage to come:giggle:, she's doing a big bum phase at the moment!

As for the fit, i find photos can be deceptive, the second photo looks better. I always thought for treed you should be a hands width in front of the hip bone and not on the loins.

Is that a pony size bareback pad, omg i won't get my pony size one on for much longer then! That looks a fab size, need another in blue:happy:

Harvey is looking fab as usual, i'm pleased he is sound at the moment.

These pictures are so cute. It makes me want my 4 year old to ride, but at the moment he doesn't want to. He likes being round horses and grooming them, but has no desire to actually get on one.

I think you're right to let your little boy to decide though, best way. Out of my 5 only three actually ride (out of the older two one used to but only really did because she thought it pleased me and doesn't even see the horses now because she has no interest in them and the other loves to help out but doesn't like riding and horses just arn't his thing) my children that do ride are 5,4 and 2 but they don't ride all the time, i try to keep it to once a week or so, so that way they ride beause they want to not because they 'have to'. It's all about fun at their age and sometimes less is more :smile:

The things i can think of from reading the posts.

What's an ugly duckling phase, have i got this stage to come:giggle:, she's doing a big bum phase at the moment!

As for the fit, i find photos can be deceptive, the second photo looks better. I always thought for treed you should be a hands width in front of the hip bone and not on the loins.

Is that a pony size bareback pad, omg i won't get my pony size one on for much longer then! That looks a fab size, need another in blue:happy:

Harvey is looking fab as usual, i'm pleased he is sound at the moment.

Hello!

Well, ugly duckling stage is when you look at your pony and think to yourself "Now, when did she start looking like a fat, unfit donkey?" lol. :giggle:

Not a great picture but i suppose this is a better pic of her in a not so much of a 'ugly ducking' stage. Taken last september
061.jpg

Yes, it's a pony size bareback pad the best friends one. Actually it's Harvey's lol but it just so happens to fit Piccolo as well :dance:

Yes Harvey has stayed sound for a few days now, so fingers crossed!

ETA: It also seems that in the last year or so my little 'black' pony has turned dark bay.

Last edited:
newrider.com