Saddle cloths v numnahs

Do you know anyone who's a good seamstress? Could a saddle cloth be cut to what you want then finished with the edging you took off? If you had an old one, you could even try it yourself.

@Mary Poppins given that he's a very sweaty horse I don't think he'd be comfortable with nothing under his saddle. Also it's a close contact saddle so I use a gel pad for some extra cushioning and while it can be used directly onto their back I'm not willing to do that.

@Huggy my local tack shop is making me up a couple that will fit.

Reactions: Huggy
Ive got a shaped saddle cloth. Its cut way nicely and fits the shape of my saddles nicely. The problem is at the back it has always bunched up which would be very uncomfortable and im sure cause pressure points on the back. Its the sort of cut away i think you are looking for @carthorse and would be my go to in the very hot weather but in my view did more harm than good. I tried it under both my boys saddles and it rode up on both.

@chunky monkey what I've got being made is a numnah cut to the shape of my saddle, just a few inches bigger so it isn't sat on the bindings, shaped up at the front so it sits clear of the wither and wide enough at the back for the flared panels. It's the flared panels that proved the issue - great for increasing the weight bearing area and saddle stability but they do mean anything cut for a normal saddle is too narrow and often too short unless going p a size at which point it's huge.

made is a numnah cut to the shape of my saddle, just a few inches bigger s
That is what I have. Ella need a very large size, but it is all under her saddle. I just failed to upload the pic and need to leave the computer now. However an earlier pic of Ella shows her with a different much larger numnah. Square cut at the back which might well flap if I were cantering.

@carthorse how nice that you can have them made to measure. Fab!

I get great use out of my nuumed numnahs. I bought them for shows (of which Ziggy and I did precisely 2) because I prefer the look of a square, but Sid prefers the numnah because he is so hot. They are light and comfortable for him, though they stick up a bit on his roly poly cob bod as they are high wither.

I do like Nuumed, but they just don't fit this saddle. The panels are flared giving it, according to the blurb, a 30% bigger weight bearing area, what it doesn't mention is that it makes getting numnahs nigh on impossible! And I'm relieve it's not just me that has a hot bod cob :)

Reactions: Huggy
I have eventually found the pic. This is the old numed numnah and i was asked to buy a new one exactly the same.
Numnah20211103_104212.jpg

The issue carthorse is having tho is the back panels of her saddle are bigger. Her saddle would not fit that numnah and would end in having saddle pressure points as the numnah would not fit to the edges of the saddle.

Reactions: carthorse
Thank you @Doodle92 , I was starting to wonder if I wasn't making myself clear! @Skib there is no way that numnah would fit my saddle, my saddle's panels are far wider than that.

@carthorse please may I see a picture of your saddle? I'm trying to envisage how the panels can be "weight bearing" and why flaring them would make a difference. There's always something new to learn with horses!

I wasnt sugesting Cartorse could use mine. Only that one can order them for any saddle. And carthorse is doing that anyway, locally, so I may have misunderstood the problem.

@Skib unless you get them made to measure you can't get them for any saddle, the whole point of what I was saying was that you can still get numnahs for any size conventionally designed saddles but not some of the fancier modern designs. The saddle you show is a conventional design, mine isn't and if you look at the link I put up for @Jane&Ziggy you'll see what I mean.

newrider.com