Saddle bags/panniers

Samantha1980

Mar 14, 2005
North Aberdeenshire
Does anyone use there pony as a pack pony? What do you use. I fancy going on a family picnic and thought that getting the Highland to carry the picnic might be an idea. I am looking for something cheap so guess saddle bags fit the bill. Also any pics :)

Here is a pic of ZIggy on our New Forest holiday, wearing Shires saddlebags. We bought them down there and they were cheap, about £15. They didn't come with fitting instructions: we tried them in front of the saddle (as shown here) and behind and he much preferred behind.

They are quite big enough for all our stuff for the day but I think they would struggle with a whole picnic. The tack shop had much bigger ones though which I'm sure a Highland wouldn't even notice!

Have fun :bounce:

I too have some shires ones for Joy and they include 2 metal bottles for drinks with a popper strap to keep the bottles in place. Joy doesn't mind them and I've not yet managed to fill them up completely.

I have the shires ones too. Very handy and Caymen does not bother zooming about with them on!

I have the same ones as Jane&Zingy, but I put them behind, I also replaced one of the water bottles with a small flask of coffee :)

I got the from Horse and Rider in Sheffield were about £15:

http://www.horseandrider.co.uk/shop/3/47/336/index.htm

279242_1962390491955_1008614255_31747820_7526815_o.jpg

Last edited:
Going to sound strange - but do they need a saddle to attach too?

I was wodering about long reining piggy wig with a picnic in tow :giggle: so wondered if they would fasten to a roller (it has d rings on it)

Going to sound strange - but do they need a saddle to attach too?

I was wodering about long reining piggy wig with a picnic in tow :giggle: so wondered if they would fasten to a roller (it has d rings on it)

I have thought about this with Holly but can only ever find horse sized saddle ones.

You could definitely use the Shires ones with a surcingle, they just need something to clip to. Make the little chap work for his living!

I got a small bag for camera, phone ect... and a drinks holder from here and I love them.

http://www.performance-equestrian.com/cat/CatIndex.asp?d=2&s=1

I got the "Perfeq Twin Pommel Saddle Bag size 2" from there but I'm not sure what you are supposed to do with the straps that go around the bags themselves - they don't seem quite long enough to go around the girth and the bag so I ended up sort of turning the strap part inside out and putting the girth through the loop - seemed to hold it steady enough but I get the feeling it's not quite right...

good thread! i've been looking at saddle bags, just a wee one in which to put a phone/keys etc. Normally i don't bother with a phone but there have been some seriously dodgy characters loitering round our way (taxi drivers randomly parking up on the road - it's a quiet country back road) so mum has me under orders not to go out without a phone!

good thread! i've been looking at saddle bags, just a wee one in which to put a phone/keys etc. Normally i don't bother with a phone but there have been some seriously dodgy characters loitering round our way (taxi drivers randomly parking up on the road - it's a quiet country back road) so mum has me under orders not to go out without a phone!

I wouldn't be using one for a phone. You can get mobile phone holders
with velcro strap on EBAY that you can strap to your arm (or even leg if you have
slender enough legs,..........I use my ARM :bounce:)

No point in having a phone etc., in a bag on your Horse if you then
part company and cannot ring anybody:wink:

Oh LOL that's a really good point!
I take my phone out hacking with me but more for my daughters to get hold of me than anything more sinister (don't want to think about that :unsure:) but I worry about it causing me damage if I fall onto it.. if it's on my arm or hip pocket I mean...?

Maybe I'm paranoid.. I won't ride in sunglasses in case they shatter in a fall and ugh... my eyes - eeeeeeeeeeeek!

This is why I really wish someone would make a superlightweight riding gilet, so that in the summer you have somewhere to put your phone, your keys and other things you have to carry, not the horse. All the gilets I can find are quilted and hot :hot:.

This is why I really wish someone would make a superlightweight riding gilet, so that in the summer you have somewhere to put your phone, your keys and other things you have to carry, not the horse. All the gilets I can find are quilted and hot :hot:.

You can buy hi-viz vests with zips pockets....I put treats in my RHS pocket and my phone etc in the LHS pocket....plus it's hi-viz so does that job too! My vest is an Equi-Safety one

newrider.com