Running out of the arena?

xysabelx

Feb 8, 2009
Last week i was having a lesson and my instructor was letting the horses from the lesson before me out and then she left the gate (well i dont know if its a gate because it was in the indoor arena?) open, and i started warming up waiting until she came back, and as i was trotting near the door, Mollie just picked up canter and ran out of the arena onto the yard, i clipped my leg against the side.
Today i was just schooling her and it was rainging outside so i rode in the indoor again, and when someone opened the gate to let their horse in she stopped dead looked over then started trying the edgs towards it to get out, thankfully she didnt.
Aswell the other day i was riding in the bottom outdoor arena and usually people dont close the door to it after coming in, so when someone else came in and left the door open, Mollie just ran out...

Its really starting to annoy me so does anyone have any tips on fixing this probem??

(By the way she is not in any pain whatsovever, she has a had her saddle and back shecked due to other probelems we have had, she had the teeth man out two weeks ago.)

She's taking the mickey out of you. I think the easiest way to fix the problem is simply to call out to anyone who leaves the gate open that you need them to close it...! Whyever WOULDN'T someone close a school gate behind them if there was someone in there working? I think thats just rude !

If the gate/ door is open, and she does start edging towards it, turn her in a sharp circle away from the gate, and get her moving on. Keep her working; transitions, spirals, transitions within the pace, circles up the centre lines, etc... just up the intensity of your work, so that she listens to you instead of thinking about the gate.

Blue is a little monkey for doing this! I remember on the last farm we were on, I went into the school, but didn't close the gate. We were trotting around, and as soon as he got to the gate, he just ducked out and trotted into the main yard (his stable was in a different area of the yard!). There was the YO and another livery stood chatting, and they just looked at me slightly strangely. I tried to turn him round to get him back into the school, but then he started rearing :rolleyes: We eventually managed to get him back into the school, and shut the gate. I never work him in a school with an open gate now, as he is a nappy little git, and would duck out at every opportunity!!

newrider.com