Romany SOLD!- and bucking again! =[ *vid* advice please!

hannah_xx

Safi
Jan 2, 2009
Essex
uk.youtube.com
some of you may have read my previous posts about me falling off romany in the field last week.
Well over the weekend her owner sold her to another person down the yard. which means i can still loan her. But i have a feeling she will propaly sell her for more in the summer.
Well anyway. I went in the school with her today as it was wayyy to windy to ride in the fields. She is usually really good and well behaved in the school. But not today!
I dont know what has gotten into her she has NEVER been this bad, when i 1st started loaning her she wasnt even this bad, she was just very cheeky but now she is actaully being nasty, and im losing my confidence! which is not like me at all!. I could tell she was going to play up so at that minute i set up the camera, and she played up, wasnt bucking as such just jumping around it does not look that bad but she can be sooo head strong and if i kicked her on i KNOW she would have been worse.

i don't know what to do..and i have no one to help me down the yard ='[
Im really upset about it because she had got sooo good and i was soo pleased with her progress now all of a sudden she has gone like this over the weekend! i rode her in the school on Thursday and she was perfect!

Oh no.... How frustrating good news that you can still loan her but bad news she has started being naughty! Hmmm.... I am guessing, back, saddle, teeth etc are all ok? What if you lunge her to get the fizzle out of her before you get on... would that work, get the energy out of her before you get on? Is she being strong when she is doing this or grabbing the contact?

How often do you get out for a good loooooong gallop uphill where you can completely let her go to run it all out ?

She looks so much like my silly saddlebred when she's doing that. We have an agreement now, that Rosie keeps her head together for me, day by day, as I ask her to school and work for me, and in return, I make sure she has adequate opportunity to really blow the stink off her, with an all-out no clinging raucus big smiley gallop. She needs it about once every couple of weeks, and I try to arrange it more often than that so she never feels the need to tell me about it.

Oh no.... How frustrating good news that you can still loan her but bad news she has started being naughty! Hmmm.... I am guessing, back, saddle, teeth etc are all ok? What if you lunge her to get the fizzle out of her before you get on... would that work, get the energy out of her before you get on? Is she being strong when she is doing this or grabbing the contact?

I always think it is her back thats bad, but apparently her back is fine, she has just been a little sore around her withers (back lady came out about month or 2 ago), but that was a while ago now, and she was not even this bad when she was sore!. Suppose i will have to tell her new owner, even though i have never met her and have no idea what days she is doing romany!
Shes rubbish at lunging unless i use 2 lunge lines, and at the moment i have None coz her old owner took her one home to keep =/. I try free schooling her but she just follows me around and spins to me :rolleyes:
I think she is grabbing the contact, she sometime shoves her head down and goes off, and its impossible to turn her

How often do you get out for a good loooooong gallop uphill where you can completely let her go to run it all out ?

She looks so much like my silly saddlebred when she's doing that. We have an agreement now, that Rosie keeps her head together for me, day by day, as I ask her to school and work for me, and in return, I make sure she has adequate opportunity to really blow the stink off her, with an all-out no clinging raucus big smiley gallop. She needs it about once every couple of weeks, and I try to arrange it more often than that so she never feels the need to tell me about it.

well its difficult because she wont hack out alone. I took her in the fields and rode for the last few weeks which was good fun, had a few fast canters (was to wet to gallop). But then she spoilt it but getting me off last week in the field which has now mad me nervous riding her in the open fields. :rolleyes:
I don't want to blame it on the spring air and grass, because she not being froward and hypo in a safe cheeky way, But she is doing it nastily and making me feel unsafe

Well the spring effects horses in different ways and horse s express freshness in different ways. Last year Nimby really felt the spring, he ended up running off with me round the school and threw me off for the first time in a fair few years.

However if you'd been watching him you'd have said it was nasty and in an out to get you way. But i know for a fact that he had just gotten silly from the spring grass. Don't just chuck that possibility out of the window just because she seems to be doing it in a nasty way. From the video it looks to be more of a "i've got tons of energy and don't know what to do with it". However you mention her having sore withers? Well is the saddle fitting properly? If she's changed shape at all it could be pinching. Or she may well have something with her back and be in pain.

tbh, I don't think Romany is bronking with malicious intent - she's just a horse ! Rosie can't help it. She gets too much something - emotion, maybe ?- all pent up and result is one very aggressive tense little horse grinding on the bit and if asked to go faster than a trot, she can't keep a lid on it, and she geboings all over the place. She'd definitely throw me off if she could figure out how to buck, but she hasn't and I'm not going to teach her.

It just looks so very similar. When she's well balanced in terms of fast work done, then she's fun to school in an arena. When she's out of whack, she's psycho. I don't think she can help it.

Perhaps a next step would be to get her working independently for you outside of the arena so that you can take her where you want to, and where you need to go ?

Well the spring effects horses in different ways and horse s express freshness in different ways. Last year Nimby really felt the spring, he ended up running off with me round the school and threw me off for the first time in a fair few years.

However if you'd been watching him you'd have said it was nasty and in an out to get you way. But i know for a fact that he had just gotten silly from the spring grass. Don't just chuck that possibility out of the window just because she seems to be doing it in a nasty way. From the video it looks to be more of a "i've got tons of energy and don't know what to do with it". However you mention her having sore withers? Well is the saddle fitting properly? If she's changed shape at all it could be pinching. Or she may well have something with her back and be in pain.

Hopefully it is just spring then and she will hopefully just calm down in the next few days.
But i agree about her back. i have ALWAYS been concerned about it, and tried so many times to hint to her old owner about getting saddle checked/ re fitted. But shes not my horse which makes it difficult as i don't want to fall out with anyone over it. especially her new owner as i don't know her at all. But i am going to bring it up and suggest about re fitting the saddle, her mum is the YO so i will speak to her and hopefully she will understand. as i am the one who rides her the most and i will not ride a horse with a sore back.

i would get her a full mot,
they can damage themselves if the roll funny in the field,
id have her whole back, spine, poll, pelvis checked,
id also have her teeth checked and looked at,
i would also double check for any tack tht may b slightly irritating her and would also check her feet and legs for heat, i know it sounds sill to do all that but its a precaution,
it may well be just the spring grass is getting to her,
and if you cant lunge, maybe even do some walking and trotting inhand before you get on,
i know how it feels, me welsh d throws u off everytime u get on, he has had full mot and nothing wrong but he has had a bad past,
remember, stay calm and dont panic and tense as it more than likely makes them worse,
hope it is just the spring grass!!!!!
:)
hang on in there, all will come clear im sure xxx

Yeah i will talk about it with her owner, hopefully she will understand and get all the checks done!

Yeah i will talk about it with her owner, hopefully she will understand and get all the checks done!

I thought you loan her? Because surely if you do then it's your choice & money if you get it checked?

I loan my boy off my friend and i pay for everything with him, inc having his back checked the other week, having it re-checked in 3 weeks time and having the saddle fitted.

Although they have pretty much given him to me now, just need to get my name in the passport to confirm it :D

My main advice would be to find out when her new owner is down and have a good chat with her as i am sure she does not want you or her horse to be hurt.
Also stuff that you need like lunge like ect her new owner needs to bring down. And to loose school get a lunge whip and send her away like you would when you lunge obviously don't hit her with it just chase her a little and get her away from you! And don't do it for any longer than 20 mins as they use alot of energy doing it as they are consintly going forward...or should be.
Good luck...my lad loves his loose schooling!!:D

My main advice would be to find out when her new owner is down and have a good chat with her as i am sure she does not want you or her horse to be hurt.
Also stuff that you need like lunge like ect her new owner needs to bring down. And to loose school get a lunge whip and send her away like you would when you lunge obviously don't hit her with it just chase her a little and get her away from you! And don't do it for any longer than 20 mins as they use alot of energy doing it as they are consintly going forward...or should be.
Good luck...my lad loves his loose schooling!!:D

yeah i will try to have a good chat with the new owner :)
I have done that with the lunge whip, it does not work unfortunatley she takes no notice of it and still spins to me :rolleyes:
the 1st time i rode her her old loaner loosed schooled her first and Romany was like a bomb waiting to explode and managed to go around okay (ish) But with me she just does not leave me alone! :confused:

I definately don't think she's being malicious. My sis used to ride a welshie with a bucking habit (and by god did he go!) and his turned out to be a bad liver problem! she could have a lingering poorliness that isn't manifesting itself physically per se so you can't see anything but she's tired and her muscles are achey. Spring could be a reason - is she in season? Is she getting turned out atm?

I would also suggest getting a full MOT, blood tests and all!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't think she is in any pain, i spoke to her new owner (the YO) today, and she told me that she has had her teeth cheeked and the saddle professionally fitted, But she said she will check to see if it still fits in case she has changed shape. Her old saddle didn't fit, and that caused problems so she said that that takes time to get better completeley. But that was a long time ago so should not be causing major problems now as her new saddle fits.
Wildponies,: Thanks lol, and well i was sort of going to ask for a transition, BUT i new she would explode (i could feel her fizzing up) and the second i went to that end of the school and slighty nudged for trot, she went. HOWEVER today i went in the school with her, and i lunged her for a bit first then got on her and she was very good :D..she did try it on a few times and would have been silly again if i had let her, but i said NO and she was good, so i am very pleased, i think she could feel that i have not been myself latley, and i felt a bit nervous, therefore she took the mick, espesially with the spring air and grass she just couldnt help herself! lol

Anddd Romany is pratically MINE! :eek:..Right i was speaking to the YO today and Romany is for her daughter who is in her 20's and has twins, so she wont really be coming down the yard until the summer and even then will probably only ride like once a month, So Romany is all mine, i am the only one who does her :D..sort of worrying in a way though haha, i am responsible for this cheeky lil pony (that i love to bits) :rolleyes:

newrider.com