Road Safety

Yes I think so. They do a lot in the way of promotion, but to be honest, if people are stupid enough not to wear hi-vis gear and a decent hat when riding they shouldn't be on the roads.

We all know horses are vulnerable and unpredictable, and drivers can be down right pigheaded about slowing down.

The thing I would say, is that riders should make sure they thank EVERY person that goes past at a reasonable speed, to help promote the idea that rider are not stuck up, arrogant, road users. Even if people don't slow down for you, if you smile and thank them, perhaps next time for someone else they might slow down.

Good question, one that gets my hackles up because its such an annoying thing that it is getting less and less safe to ride anywhere!

MORE BRIDLEWAYS!!!

x

i dont think any orginization is doing enough to promote road safety, insofar as it is the general public who are not horsey who need to have guidelines as to how to pass horses correctly. we are slowly being squeezed off the roads. more should appear in highway code and test, and via television and newspaper ads. and more should be done ie. bridleways, including allowing horsedrawn carts on them

No I don't think they are.Everything seems to be aimed at the rider - wear hi viz, take your riding and road safety test etc but nobody is educating the drivers. I do take precautions to minimise risk on the roads but it still doesn't stop the drivers who don't know how to pass a horse (there are others who might know and still drive dangerously, but they are a different case :rolleyes:).

I have NEVER seen the 'THINK' campaign advert about horses (I believe there is one?) on the TV or heard it on the radio, yet I've seen/heard the mobile phone and motorbike ones over and over. Round by us they have been putting up large yellow signs with motorbikes on but there's never anything about horses.

Talking to people I have discovered that the majority of drivers don't know why they should pass a horse wide and slow, they don't have any idea that horses can spook at things at the side of the road, or at noises, or the wind, or their shadow, or....well, you get the idea! ;):D

If the advert was shown just once at prime time on TV, it would at least reach a few million viewers which would be a start.

Going back to the op's question, I'm not sure it's the BHS's role to do this on their own, or if it should be a joint effort with other organisations such as road safety agencies?

And echo other posters - more bridleways! My local OS map actually has some bridleways that turn into footpaths, what's the point of that? You can ride so far then have to turn round, come back and go back on the road you went on in the first place!

Problem is, I believe the motorbike and mobile phone advertising campaigns are government funded and that is why the adverts are repeated often enough to have an impact. The BHS has limited funds and can only do as much as it can afford from its budget. The government has historically had very little interest in supporting the horse industry in any form, which means it is highly unlikely to put up cash for a promotional campaign.

lets be honest, BHS dont have limited funds by any stretch of the imgaination.

i must be very lucky, round by me they are very good- slow down and pass wide enough and arent divvy or anything- the older drivers are the worst though *whistles* they tend to go a bit fast or get impatient but nothing really bad.

i do thank every driver though, and smile and look like im enjoying been out- unlike some who have a face like a slapped arse to put it politely :p

they are a massive organisation, millions of members who pay, numerous exams that cost a fortune, books and other gifts etc, not to mention money from companys for advertising and sponsering etc

they arent short of a few quid, same as RSPCA and other similar charities.

they are a massive organisation, millions of members who pay,

I have no idea how much money they have in the coffers, but your statement above is a GROSS exaggeration.

They actually have about 70,000 members - if you count members of the Pony Club, affiliated Riding Clubs and affilliated bridleway organisation, maybe the count rises to 120 - 150,000.

Scarcely the 'millions' you claim - although there are indeed millions of leisure riders in Britain, the great majority of whom are not members of the BHS yet who seem to think it should be all things to all riders.

i agree with the posters who think the bhs and the bds should do more to persuade the government to mount a campaign to keep us safe on the road- surely that should be one of the most basic precepts of organizations dedicated to the welfare of horse and rider. if you think of the money used to protect people who commit horrendous crimes against innocence, then surely a like amount should be found to protect innocent road users. as it is, we are slowly being pushed off the roads.

old woman- they will pay millions in fees though wont they which is what i was getting at, how much is it to be a member nowadays?

im not a member, neither do i whine and expect them to do things for me ;)

To be honest I dont think its the BHS that we should be worrying about. It is law for you to wear a seatbelt (in the front) and children under 14 (I think). Motorbikers must wear Helmets. Riders under 14 must wear hats on public roads. You can be stopped by the police if your out at dusk if you dont have your car lights on and be "advised" to switch them on, for yours and other road users safety!! The councils and government protect all road workers with top to toe all seaon Hiviz.

So why on earth shouldnt it be law for all car drivers and passengers to wear seatbelts (unless its already been changed??)??. Why shouldnt it be law for all horse riders and cyclists on public roads to wear heltmets just like bikers?? Why shouldnt it be law for all bikers, cyclists, horse riders and walkers of any kind to wear hiviz while on public roads. Ok all the above wont stop accidents but may reduce the risk and also if and when and accident happens the injuries could be hugely reduced.

Sorry:eek::eek: something that reallly gets on my wick!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: If it was all law most people would stick to it, surely this would make the roads safer for all????:cool::cool:

old woman- they will pay millions in fees though wont they which is what i was getting at, how much is it to be a member nowadays?

You actually wrote 'they have millions of members who pay ...' (my bold) which doesn't read as suggested above.

How much do you imagine membership costs? The most expensive form of membership is individual adult Gold membership, which costs around £55 and includes, for the price, magazines, excellent public liability insurance for all horses you ride or handle, access to a legal helpline, personal accident insurance, and more. For many people - including myself - this membership offers far cheaper horse-specific PL insurance than I could get by going to any insurance company or broker. The rest of what I get for my subscription is like a free gift!

You can become a Bronze member for as little as £17. I believe members of affiliated riding clubs pay an extra few pounds towards the BHS on their annual membership, and Bridleway groups affiliate for a token annual payment of £30 per group. Not exactly hugely expensive in the greater scheme of things ...

I have many issues with the BHS and some (not all!) of its voluntary and paid staff, and of the attitudes and expectations which too often prevail within such organisations, but it is not, as many people seem to imagine, a hugely wealthy organisation, it is not a quasi-governmental body receiving subsidies from the taxpayer and, although the BHS has the stated aim of working for the good of all horses and riders, it hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of doing so while such a tiny minority of us are actually members.

No, I dont see any adverts on mainstream TV, or any adverts in mainstream newspapers etc etc that the majortiy of normal folk (i.e non horsey) read.

:)

I think the BHS do what they can, but its the local councils and government that need to enforce changes. I took a look at our local councils road strategies and there is very little aspect to the safety of horse riders, and where we are mentioned we are grouped with cyclists :eek:

I was also searching for figures on the number of road accidents in my area involving horse riders, and again this figure was not obtainable and horse riders were just grouped with other so called "vunerable road users" (cyclists, pedestrians).

There are less and less accesible bridleways and you hear very few new ones being created by the council - partly I assume because most land these days is privately owned and therefore not something that can be done easily.

... forgot to say. I do find these days that the most concientious drivers are getting younger, and the worst offenders are the older people. I wonder if this is a reflection of the new theory test?

I think the BHS do what they can, but its the local councils and government that need to enforce changes. I took a look at our local councils road strategies and there is very little aspect to the safety of horse riders, and where we are mentioned we are grouped with cyclists :eek:

For what it's worth, I don't think there's anything wrong with being grouped with cyclists - many of our problems and requirements are very similar, and the 'rules of the road' which we are expected to obey are often similar, too. In addition, cyclists have legal access to ALL our bridleways (even though we don't have legal access to cyclepaths) and many mountain bikers are more than happy to support our fight for the preservation of bridleways. Personally I think we should seek closer alliance with other vulnerable users, instead of trying to make out that we are some sort of 'special case'. There is power in numbers, you know!

The problem with council and local government strategy is that there is very little representation indeed of equestrian interests on most councils, and the saying that the squeaky wheel gets oiled first is only too true - so all the OTHER minority interests that will have strong representation on the council will be much further forward in the queue for limited funds than any equestrian interests.

The best thing that any of us here can do - when we are old enough, of course! - for the retention and improvement of bridleways, is to get involved, directly or indirectly, in council activities, whether it is on Parish level or County Borough level, voluntary or paid. Becoming active in a Bridleways Association is good first step towards this.

We NEED people to work actively for bridleways - it is truly a desperate need.

Last edited:
I see your point Old Woman, and am certainly not saying cyclists are in any way inferror to horse riders, or that horse riders are a "special" case, but they are different and have different needs.

I've yet to see a bike spook in to the road, or decide to take off with its rider :rolleyes:

I see your point Old Woman, and am certainly not saying cyclists are in any way inferror to horse riders, or that horse riders are a "special" case, but they are different and have different needs.

I've yet to see a bike spook in to the road, or decide to take off with its rider :rolleyes:

Of course we are different - but not very different - and we vulnerable road users have little enough power as it is; united we would have a much greater chance of getting the powers-that-be to do something constructive to shut us up/for road safety than we have when we have so very little representation. If only walkers, cyclists and riders could get together, work together and tolerate each other, appreciating each others' specific problems and wondering how we can HELP each other instead of fighting and arguing the toss between ourselves!

At the moment, cyclists are up in arms about a certain coroner's call for bikes to be segregated on all A and B roads. Someone pointed out that this would effectively remove the freedom of movement - already restricted in practice by the dangers of fast and heavy traffic - which is enshrined in law in the UK, where pedestrians, cyclists, and horses - driven, ridden or led - having an absolute right to use all of the public highway system.

If bikes were to be segregated by law on all such roads, what would happen to walkers and horses?

This segregation is not going to happen in practice, but the mere fact that someone in a position of influence thinks the solution to the problem of keeping vulnerable road users safe is to prevent them from using the roads is a dangerous precedent. The danger that exists to vulnerable users comes from inconsiderate, careless and incompetent drivers, and highway design (particularly at junctions, crossings and bridges/tunnels) that takes no account of the needs of road users other than those who chose to drive mechanically-propelled vehicles with four or more wheels. Calling for segregation IMO only leads to even more drivers believing that other users are 'intruders' into their private domain, and to even less consideration for vulnerable users by the designers of new roads, bypasses and junctions.

I must point out, too, that although bikes don't spook in the road, or decide to take off with their rider, neither are they anything like as visible to other road users as is a horse, the bike rider does not have as good a viewpoint as the horse rider, and nor are they as 'steady' when there is a sidewind or a small pothole as are most horses - horse and bike each have their advantages and disadvantages when ridden on the road!

newrider.com